AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anybody else noticed a spike in signal strenght tonight!! I did absolutely nothing to my setup, and now CBS from NYC is coming in at 70% for me where the best used to be in the mid 40's. Also, FOX and UPN are in the mid 50's where I couldn't get it as the signal would be in the 20' and 30's. Is it something in the weather?? Did they up the power from the esb??? Anybody's thoughts or statments about improved signal strength tonight would be appreciated.

Also, I am in south western Connecticut just south of New Haven.

scottte

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its called "DUCTING" aka Atmospheric Conditions...

You will see this alot when there is a BIG Change in Temperature

I'm watching TV Stations from Boston and RI tonight :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I also noticed the increase. I live in NYC about 15 miles from ESB. When I point my antenna to the ESB, I can get CBS at about 97% but if I point the antenna towards C.T. to get WEDW, I usually get no reception of CBS. Sunday I got about 70% strength on CBS while pointing the antenna towards C.T. I have not checked again but I will today. Maybe it was " aka Atmospheric Conditions..."

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I'm on Long Island, 52 miles from ESB and had CBS nailed about 90% last night with an attic mounted CM4228 and a RS Preamp. I sort of expected it, though.

You can check out this web site for Tropospheric Ducting forecasts!

Looks like today and tomorrow will be similar.

http://www.globalserve.net/~hepburnw/tropo.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call me nuts, but I cant get a grasp for sure of what is a good reading on this web page, does a low number mean in fact it is better for reception or does the higher number mean it will be better as that indicates "extreme"

Just not sure if that means extreme in a great sense for reception, or very bad!! Some clarification would be awesome for me, appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Well, for what is worth. I am getting 76% on WTNH channel 8 from C.T. I never got this. It was always on the between 55% and 66%. On WEDW, I am getting 85%. It was 66% before. I love this atmospheric condition while it lasts.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I got an understanding through the web site, but from what I read, the higher numbers (color moving closer to red) mean that there is a greater probability of having radio waves "bounce" off of the troposhpere, thus creating a longer "line-of-sight". Without this, UHF signals would actually bounce of the Earth due to it's curvature after about 60 miles. There are actually instances where people have picked up signals well over 100 miles away. I guess it's analogous to what happened in the movie "Frequency", although I don't know if you'll be able to get Digital signals from 1969.;)

The way that I interpret this phenomenon is that instead of having a "normal" signal coming straight at me, I'm getting a stronger signal that is not subject to trees, hills, and houses bouncing off of the atmosphere.

I don't know if I'm scientifically correct, but it actually seems logical to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.