AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tv has no 3.5 audio input. My 2.1 sound system has a male 3.5 cable. So my question is, how would I connect my set top box and ps3 directly to the 2.1 speaker system without connecting the sound to the tv? I can connect one device with no problem. I have an rca female to female 3.5 cable and connect that to the red and white cable(rca) and the 2.1 speaker system. The problem is connecting 2 devices.Would connecting these 2 cables work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I98ZYG...lid=2ILHQQ1WXCOK6&coliid=I368H27JPW0TDW&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JFF7A...lid=2ILHQQ1WXCOK6&coliid=I1Y5JRRTCMSVPS&psc=1

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry forgot to mention that both devices are connected via component cable. Since it simplifies things with anolog sound with the component cable rca cables(red and white). Also my 2.1 creative sound system only has a 3.5 male cable.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
What sound outputs does your tv have?
HDMI and rca. It has a 3.5 audio in for RGB/DVI. Also an optical digital audio out. The 2.1 speakers only have a 3.5 cable but the TV doesn't work with it. Am I doing something wrong?
The tv inputs shouldn't matter for your purposes here, assuming both source devices are plugged into the tv. You should be able to plug a male rca to 3.5 mm female adapter into your tvs rca audio OUT and just plug the creative system into that

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tv inputs shouldn't matter for your purposes here, assuming both source devices are plugged into the tv. You should be able to plug a male rca to 3.5 mm female adapter into your tvs rca audio OUT and just plug the creative system into that
The rca I mentioned is from the component cable inputs. Since the TV doesn't have a proper 3.5 output I want to just connect the audio cables directly to the creative system.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The rca I mentioned is from the component cable inputs. Since the TV doesn't have a proper 3.5 output I want to just connect the audio cables directly to the creative system.
As another poster mentioned, you'll need a switch if you want to connect both components directly. Does your tv have any audio OUTPUTS aside from optical?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As another poster mentioned, you'll need a switch if you want to connect both components directly. Does your tv have any audio OUTPUTS aside from optical?

The TV has 2 component cable inputs. Is a switch is necessary? Would the PQ degrade with the switch? Also would an rca to optical audio adapter be a better option? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F4ORTZ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1429881072&sr=8-8&pi=SL75&keywords=3.5+audio+to+optical

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

The TV has 2 component cable inputs. Is a switch is necessary? Would the PQ degrade with the switch? Also would an rca to optical audio adapter be a better option? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F4...&sr=8-8&pi=SL75&keywords=3.5+audio+to+optical
Yes, that's exactly what you need. Optical cable from the tv to the adapter, and plug the creative system right into the 3.5 mm on the adapter

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what you need. Optical cable from the tv to the adapter, and plug the creative system right into the 3.5 mm on the adapter

So I than would be able to connect the component cables to the TV? I have never used optical cable a before. Would be able to turn the volume up with the TVs remote control?
Yes, you would connect the component to the tv. You will not be able to control the volume with the tv remote unfortunately, you'll have to use the creative system to control that

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, you would connect the component to the tv. You will not be able to control the volume with the tv remote unfortunately, you'll have to use the creative system to control that
The optical cable to rca converter requires a power source. The rca switch doesn't. I don't really see a benefit in using the optical to rca converter. Is the sound better?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
No, audio quality will be essentially the same. I would personally use the DAC instead of the switch because with the switch you're going to have to change both the tv source and the switch source when you change inputs, while using the optical to rca DAC let's the tv control all source switching. But that's my personal preference, so if independent power source is more of a deal breaker for you than an extra source switch ( which you have to get up to do unless the switch has IR), then go for the switch over the converter

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Would the PQ degrade with the switch?
If it does, you don't have to run the video through the switch, just the audio.

Leave the video cables connected directly to the TV.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts