AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i finished my theater a little while ago, and now finally geting aroudn to painting, i would idealy like to enclose my electric screen along the side of the wall. However the screen is currently not against the wall and would make the enclouser a little too big for the area it is in. I have an idea of connecting 2 studs together to hang the screen on the connector against the wall, that way the enclouser wont stick out as far. im attaching a paint drawaing to hopefully explain what im trying to acomplish (the check in the picture is the stud the screen is currently being hung on) however i was wondering if someoen could help guide me as to the most secure way to attach a conecting beam (red). I saw a kind of clamp at Home Depot which looked like what i might need, but i would like other opinions. Thanks guys

·
Registered
268 Posts
Probably what you are talking about is a joist hanger which would work fine. It is likely the easiest way to join the blocking and be sure of a solid mount. The bottom of the hanger will protrude down a bit past the bottom of the ceiling joist which may interfere with the ceiling finish. You can notch out the ends of your blocks to recess that part of the hanger to be sure it will not. You could also screw or nail through the ceiling joist into the ends of the blocking to hold it without a hanger and it should be fine. Hang on it after you install the block.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think a steel stud track cut to fit inbetween both joists would work well here. That's what I used for my screen wall and a few other walls in my basement where the wall was running parallel to the joists and the nearest joist was either to far or too close to the exterior wall. It's hard to explain without illustrations but I'll try.

Take your track and cut it the length of the outer edges of your joists. I.E. from the back of one joist to the other, the distance is 10".

Next, measure the thickness of your joists. If they're 2x6 or 2x10 the width of each should be 1.5".

On your steel track, measure at both ends the thickness of the studs and cut the walls of the stud vertically on both sides of the track and then cut the wall vertically at the bottom. Here's a crude illustration of what it should look like: __|-------------|__ . Note: This is a side profile.

Slip the cut track into the space between your joists and screw using drywall screws or wood screws. One tip. It's easier to screw it into the ceiling if you predrill the hole in the metal stud on the ground first.

I believe this is what you're looking for and the result is a very strong support. Around here a 10' 2 1/2 metal track costs about $1.78. The other benefit is that it won't interfere with anything that is meant to be flush with the rest of the joist, i.e. drywall.

HTH.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,001 Posts
Just take the right dimension piece of wood for the connecting studs.

On the end that will fit against the ceiling joist (what you call a stud) closest to the wall pre drill some angled holes starting about an inch back from the end and exiting from the end grain of the connecting stud. Place board in place and "toenail" in place with deck screws. On the end facing the joist away from the wall you should be able to drill through the joist into the end of the connecting stud and again fasten with deck screws. I would use a double thickness of 2x lumber for the connecting studs. You can just nail the double thickness together with framing screws (3 inch or less)

Of course you could use the joist hangers but my way should be just as strong and saves a trip to the HD.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heh, joist stud....yea everyone always says joist, but i just grew up with the word stud and cant seem to get my mouth to say otherwise :) anyway thanks for the responses, i will look at the hanger and the stud track and then determin which i like better between the 3 options. I swear i love this forum..great ideas, great people. and its sometimes finally nice to talk to people who actully know what they are talking about. thanks again

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good luck stud.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by usehername
Good luck stud.
That's "joist" to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts