AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know what I should get or need to do this?

I've read the forums about it, but there's a couple of different ways to do this, I wanna know what would be the Best way to do this..

Thank you for any help..

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
SUKINON,

there are 4 or 5 threads that I can think of discussing this topic. I would suggest you to read all the good information in these threads. There are even procedures written on how to connect the GWII to a PC.

I am not trying to be rude about it. Just that the information has been posted already.:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, It's a pain in the Azz to list what Card/program I would need!

Well maybe someone else will help....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Easiest I can think off: Get one of the ATI cards that has a DVI output. Buy a DVI-D cable. Hook both up. You'll then need PowerStrip to create the custom resolutions to drive the display and you'll need to go into the service menu to adjust the resulting overscan (pretty easy though, sounds scarier than it is). Look for the "UMR does GWII" thread and get the document mentioned in the first posting of that thread. It has PowerStrip timings and info on adjusting the overscan.

I'm running my GWII at 1280x720 this way.

-Rob-

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kool, Thanx bro, I was lookin into the ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500DV. Now I heard some people say they don't like Radeon, So I was curious what other card would be good/better. Also if anyone knows what would be the best in card in general to get?

So is this the best that you can run on this Tv?

(1280x720) It sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Why would you run the GWII at 1280x720? It's native resolution is 1365x768, which is a fairly standard mode. Note also that ATI cards can only do resolutions in increments of 8; you might want to go with an nVidia card because the GWII might not recognize any nearby modes that the ATI card does support (1365 and 1366 are not divisible by 8).

How does 1280x720 look, anyway? I've noticed the scaler in the GW leaves alot of jaggies and dithering artifacts.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by venm11
Why would you run the GWII at 1280x720? It's native resolution is 1365x768, which is a fairly standard mode. Note also that ATI cards can only do resolutions in increments of 8; you might want to go with an nVidia card because the GWII might not recognize any nearby modes that the ATI card does support (1365 and 1366 are not divisible by 8).

How does 1280x720 look, anyway? I've noticed the scaler in the GW leaves alot of jaggies and dithering artifacts.

Native resolution is 1366x768.

1280x720, 1360x720, 1368x720, and 1368x768 (cannot get rid of overscan) are all obtainable resolutions using powerstrip and ATI card. I have experimented with all and have not noticed any difference to the naked eye. I have my set set at 1360x720 as of today. There has been zero reports of any other graphic card (including nVidia) that can obtain higher resolutions than 540p if I am not mistaken. So, the ATI cards seem to work the best. The higher resolutions will overscan and one need to adjust the overscanning through the service menu.

There has been plenty of posting of how these resolutions look. Here is one example: 60 XBR Pics

As to jaggies and dithering artifacts, I do not know what you are referring. I have not noticed this. I usually sit betweeen 10 and 15 feet.

·
Registered
807 Posts
In addition to what Motjes said:

Not only are there no reports of other graphics cards driving the GW at over 540, there have been lots of reports of tries/problems with the NVidia cards. So unless you like frustration I'd say don't bother.

As to resolution: While 1366x768 is the native resolution of the LCD panels used in the GWII, the big question is how many of those pixels are actually visible onscreen. All TVs are set up such that there's a certain amount of overscan. As far as I know none of the service menu items changes the optics, so the transfer from LCD panel to screen is fixed (and therefore has overscan). What the service menu can do is change the active region of the LCD panels, so a computer image covers just that part of the LCDs that's visible when projected on screen. That is not 1366x768 but less. Someone did a rough calculation and figured that 1280x720 is probably very close to the visible pixel resolution. It's a resolution that's easy to set up with PowerStrip, the GW likes it, and it's easy to correct so there's 0% overscan on screen with that resolution. That's why I'm sticking to that one.

I've not noticed any jaggies or dithering artifacts. Good DVDs look like a movie in the cinema. Very 3D at times.

-Rob-

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Maybe this is a better thread for a question I just posed in the HTPC forum. Which Radeon? I'm thinking of adding the Radeon 7000 PCI as a second video card to my PC. I have a GeForce4 now that limits me to 852x480 on the GW2 as we all know. Anyone think having the two cards is going to screw me up?

Also, my only interest at this point in going the HTPC route is simply to be able to see the upcoming T2 WM9 file. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how it's going to look best on the GW2? I was thinking of sending the TV 1080i and letting the TV scale it? Since it's a progressive file to begin with, does anyone think that's a bad idea?

Ron

·
Registered
719 Posts
Has anybody had the problem with using the latest ATI driver updates, 3.4

on a XP system and getting a over done Aqua background on the GWII

screen?

I was using ATI doggle, with powerstrip and 2.2 driver on Windows 98

system until it died last week. I bought a XP system and when I load

any of the drivers releases over 2.2, I get a aqua background. Tried with

and without powerstrip, same result.

Also the best I can do with my current setup without a lot of overscan is

856 x 480. I was doing alot better on my 98 system. Again. not sure why

this is.

I have tried the latest powerstrip and ATI drivers :(

Also using a ATI 8500LE card and GWII MOD-1 changes don't help me with

any overscan problems...

These that have it working, what is your monitor driver setup for. My currently is "default monitor". Some Sony drivers to no avail..

I have read other threads and tried some of those setups without

any luck...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I recommend a component connection over the DVI connection. I've tried both and found that component allows more resolution choices. With the ATI dongle I can display 640x480P, 1152x648 (720P) and 1776x1000i with no overscan. 1152x648 and 1776x1000i fill the screen.

Has anyone tried using a scaler to convert PC display resolutions such as 1280x1024 to the native 1366x768 resolution?

·
Registered
271 Posts
motjes2 (or anyone),

The PixelPerfect and Matrox Parhelia video cards support custom resolutions. Specifically they support 1366x768. Has anyone tried one of these cards before with any luck?

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAJH
I recommend a component connection over the DVI connection. I've tried both and found that component allows more resolution choices. With the ATI dongle I can display 640x480P, 1152x648 (720P) and 1776x1000i with no overscan. 1152x648 and 1776x1000i fill the screen.

Has anyone tried using a scaler to convert PC display resolutions such as 1280x1024 to the native 1366x768 resolution?
I also eschewed the DVI connection for the ATI dongle. I have a Radeon 9500 Pro running the latest drivers on XP with great results. It's so much simpler to configure. All resolutions are output in either 480p, 720p, or 1080i timings so there is less to screw up with. Since the DVI gets converted to analog in the TV anyway there isn't a big difference in quality.

As for scaling, this is probably not what you want but there is a program called UltraMon that sort of scales for you. I have 2 monitors (one of which is the GWII). Using UltraMon, I can "mirror" my monitor onto my GWII using the original resolutions on each display. So if I had my monitor at 1280x1024 and my GWII at 1152x648, when I "mirror" my GWII would show the 1280x1024 scaled down to 1152x648. Pretty neat.

Quote:
Originally posted by llama
motjes2 (or anyone),

The PixelPerfect and Matrox Parhelia video cards support custom resolutions. Specifically they support 1366x768. Has anyone tried one of these cards before with any luck?

Thanks
Previously I had a Geforce3 over DVI and had problems getting above 540p. I believe the problem is that most non-ATI cards are up to spec, and enforce the resolutions that the GWII says it can and can't support. The ATI cards/drivers ignore the GWII's EDID data and let us output whatever resolution we want. I'm not sure about your case but I'd think that it probably won't work. I'd be happy if I was proven wrong.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, that has been my experience in the past as well with the ATI Card. I beleive the problem lies in the fact that they only support resolutions in multiple of 8 (so 1366x768 isn't supported). I can and currently do use 1360x720 which does look good. I'm jsut after the best solution I can find :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.