AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm awaiting delivery of my HMDH5U and wonder if I need to buy a firewire cable or not. Does the deck come with one? If not (which I assume is the case), what sort of cable do I need?

I know nothing about firewire. Does it make any difference if I get a less expensive cable, or are they all the same? Although I really only need less than 2 feet of cable, is here a maximum run length.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You'll need a firewire cable, it doesn't come with one. Less expensive cables should work fine (although I have nothing substantiating that claim). I've never gotten firewire for more than $15.

Max run I believe is 10m (30ft).

Troy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got one of these. The port on the HMDH5U 4 pin, I needed a 4 to 6 pin to connect to my Motorola 6200.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont
You'll need a firewire cable, it doesn't come with one. Less expensive cables should work fine (although I have nothing substantiating that claim). I've never gotten firewire for more than $15.

Max run I believe is 10m (30ft).

Troy

The 1394a specification calls for a cable maximum length of only 4.5 meters (14.8 feet). Some manufacturers claim that they now have cables that can go beyond the spec maximum to 10m. I'd strongly urge anyone going above 4.5 meter cable lengths to verify these will work before purchasing.

The 5u and the 3410a both use 4-pin 1394a connectors.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy -

Thanks for the information. Although I'm going to get a much shorter cable, it is good to know the maximum spec length for the cable run.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.