AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, but you may be limited by your video card output. It must be capable of the resolution settings of the TV, there is a software product by Power Strip that can help.

Search under the HTPC section of the board and you will find all that you need.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Quick question.

Can I use a VGA to Component cable like this?
http://www.dtvcity.com/agraphics/cab...ia-rca-vga.gif

To connect a Laptop's VGA out to an HDTV?

Or do I need an adapter?

\\

It should work. I use my Inspiron 8100 to play DVDs on my Sampo 16:9 monitor. Pick the resolution that looks the best and is supported by your display.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sol_Zhen-

Where did you find that cable? And how much does it cost?

cwood-

I was just thinking of using my DELL 8100 laptop with my new SONY 16:9, as well. What settings are you using?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
904 Posts
You should be ok if you have one of these 2 conditions:

1. your TV supports PC resolutions (VGA, SVGA, XGA, etc)

--- or ---

2. your laptop can do custom resolutions to match TV standards for 480p, 540p, or 1080i.

I've connected my dell 4000 to my pioneer sd-532-hd5's db-15 input (didn't need the conversion to component) and met with limited success. The TV would display a VGA signal with parts cut off, but I couldn't get it to do anything higher and the laptop won't do custom resolutions to match what the TV will handle. One of the most important advances in HTPC's was the advent of powerstrip and video cards that would support custom rates (1080i equates to something like 1920x1080i @ 59.994Hz or 960x540).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to let you know, I asked StraightWire about those cables and it doesn't appear that they will work directly.

Here's the response:

Yes, the cable pictured is our cable. It is our "Media-link" VGA to Component cable. It will not work the way the person at the forum wants it to. Cables only pass signals, they cannot convert them. The output signal from the VGA port on a computer sends an RGB (red, green, blue, horizontal and vertical syncs)signal, component signals are totally different (chrominance minus red, chrominance minus blue and luminance). We make similar cables that do send an RGB signal from a VGA port to (5)BNC's or RCA's or VGA to VGA.

The key to hooking up any equipment is to remember that the output signal must be the same as the input signal. If they are different you need to have a device that converts the signals between the input and output ports.

The Media-link cables (in any configuration) retail for:

1 meter length: $50.00

2 meter length: $70.00

3 meter length: $90.00

6 meter length: $150.00

If you have any other questions, please write me directly.

Bill Price

Director of Marketing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.