AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basic question concerning connecting a seperate amp to my H/K 430. I currently have the H/K set up for 5.1 and use the multi room feature to power my two outdoor speakers. What I would like to do is use all 7 channels in my home theater and connect a second two channel amp to power the outdoor speakers. I only need to to play cd's to my outdoors speakers using a dvd/cd/mp3 player (which is currently connected to my H/K using an optical cable).

I just don't know how to do it!!!

Should I...

1) connect a basic two channel amp to the H/K's l & r Preouts

or,

2) connect a basic two channel amp to the cd/dvd player's l & r analog outputs, and if I do, will the cd/dvd player feed signals to the H/K (again with optical connection) and through the analgo connection at the same time?

If both options above are possible, which is better/preferred?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.....

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by govols
I have a basic question concerning connecting a seperate amp to my H/K 430. I currently have the H/K set up for 5.1 and use the multi room feature to power my two outdoor speakers. What I would like to do is use all 7 channels in my home theater and connect a second two channel amp to power the outdoor speakers. I only need to to play cd's to my outdoors speakers using a dvd/cd/mp3 player (which is currently connected to my H/K using an optical cable).

I just don't know how to do it!!!

Should I...

1) connect a basic two channel amp to the H/K's l & r Preouts

or,

2) connect a basic two channel amp to the cd/dvd player's l & r analog outputs, and if I do, will the cd/dvd player feed signals to the H/K (again with optical connection) and through the analgo connection at the same time?

If both options above are possible, which is better/preferred?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.....
Number 1 is fine, connect the 430's Zone II (MR L/R) line outs to your new amplifier. Note that the analog L/R outputs of the DVD/CD player need to be connected to the 430.

Number 2 doesn't work as you don't have a volume control..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made the cd/dvd analog connection to the h/k as you suggested. Then, the multi-room output to the cd/dvd conncetion on my amp (actually using cheap home theater Kenwood receiver), set the H/K multi-room function to "on", turned OFF the H/K mutli room amp (so that I can use that for future 7 channel set up), and...no sound...

I then attempted the connection to the Kenwood AUX jacks, and the Kenwood promptly shut down in protect mode.....I made sure all voulme levels were not high...

I am thinking my Kenwood is somehow not capatible for this setup, or somehow otherwise defective...

Any other ideas? Anyone? Thanks...:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.