AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My situation is this: I have an audiophile stereo (yes, 2 channels) tuned for digital reproduction - no preamps or analog signals, I feed the digital out of my 192/24 PC soundcard directly into my DA convertor, which connects directly to my power amp. (ok so -that- bit is analog)

Here's the challenge:
I want home cinema (duh)

So, IDEALLY, I would like to take the HDMI out of a BD player, plug that into my TV (or some splitter device) which splits this HDMI to:

- a 192k/24b stereo SPDIF PCM digital signal that has mixed left, right, center and subwoofer into 2ch.

- a separate line level or powered output for my (non-audiophile, just decent) rear speakers

- and of course the digital TV signal into the TV

Or to put it differently:

- I want 4.0 output, with 2 digital and 2 analog

Sadly I am reasonably sure (I would love to hear differently) that the nice and friendly people in hollywood digital prevent me from doing the above. I think they do not allow me to 're-encode' a signal, mixing LRCS into 2.0 but keeping the rear LR separate. Of course they allow downmixing the 5.1 (7.1, whatever) to stereo but that means I lose surround, or at the very least have the surround signal in my front speakers as well.

So.. barring something I've missed, the next best thing would be some analogue system to do the above. Meaning:

- Is there a system that takes HDMI in and produces line-level 4.0 output? (preferably the front 2.0 digital)

Any other creative solutions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntloos /forum/post/12978429

- Is there a system that takes HDMI in and produces line-level 4.0 output?

Any other creative solutions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Many good receivers will give you the pre-amp outs, all the way to 7.1.

Most of the HD dvds will also give you 5.1 pre-amp outputs (just about all will decode everything but trueHD and dts-ma).

Get a PS3.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
How are you controlling the volume with your current system?

Window's volume control, or does your D/A converter/poweramp have attenuators?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke /forum/post/12998730

Many good receivers will give you the pre-amp outs, all the way to 7.1.

From this, can I assume that all those receivers also produce 4.0?

Does anyone know some kickass, probably very expensive receiver that allows you to very closely control what (part) of a (say) 7.1 signal you send to which outputs, possibly even which types of outputs? Say with a mixing matrix?

Suppose I want to send center, mid and rear right to my left rear speaker. Any receiver that allows such mixing flexibility?

Quote:
Most of the HD dvds will also give you 5.1 pre-amp outputs (just about all will decode everything but trueHD and dts-ma).

Yeah but I also want to use other devices than a HD player to produce video.
Quote:
Get a PS3.

Does the PS3 have analog and SPDIF outputs and very advanced/flexible controls of the output? Anyway see above, I'd like to universally fix my sound issues at the receiver spot instead of only fixing it for PS3 oriented media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 /forum/post/12998905

How are you controlling the volume with your current system?

Window's volume control, or does your D/A converter/poweramp have attenuators?

Both using windows volume, or the DAC volume. In theory, the DAC's volume control is better quality but frankly I can't tell the difference when everything is in 192/24 mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts