AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has connected the 'projector' port of the Extron System 8 to the 'switcher' port of a Marquee using anything different from the Extron Comm-Adapter (designed for this purpose but I can't seem to find one - I think the Extron p/n is 26-474-01).

Ideas would be welcomed, as would protocols for either side and/or conversion circuits (or a schematic of the comm-adapter mentioned above ;) ).

Andy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why not contact the source. Extron's got great tech support. It will help to know if your switcher is a System 8 or a System 8+.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Serlin
Why not contact the source. Extron's got great tech support. It will help to know if your switcher is a System 8 or a System 8+.
Good point Serlin - it's a System8+.

bblue - it looks as if I don't need the interface after all, right? I had a hunch that was the case. Do I lose any functionality by doing the straight-through cable instead of the interface?

Andy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That 'interface' is just the cable that goes between the pj and switcher that I described how to make in the thread. They seem to have tried to make it as physically non-standard as possible, while at the same time directly supporting the control protocol for a variety of projectors.

If you use the special cable, the projector will automatically control the switcher when you change sources. You don't need to use the rs232 connector on the switcher at all.

I think there's a link in the thread to the installation instructions for the kit and switch settings for the Electrohomes. If not and if you don't have it, I'll dig it up.

--Bill

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bill. I'm not sure what is meant by 'kit' but the other thread does mention some Extron instructions that I've not yet managed to find.

I'm still curious though - the p/n I mentioned above isn't just a cable - it's a box with what appears to be some gadgetry inside. Are you saying that all this box does is map one cable to another?

If you could find the kit/switch info I'd really appreciate it.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Andy,

I'm not sure what box with components in it you're looking at. What they have is a "Communications Kit" which consists of the cable, a male to male 9 pin gender changer, and the instructions for how to configure the switch for your particular projector.

The cable is just a three wire pass-through which I detailed in the earlier thread. It's a male DB15HD (vga connector) to female DB9 (standard serial connector) connected as a cable that goes to the projector through the male to male adapter. You could make it in just one cable, it doesn't matter.

The URL for the Electrohome 'kit' documentation is http://www.extron.com/download/files...ectro_8-10.pdf

Between this and my earlier thread you should have everything you need to make it work. But if something is unclear, just let me know. They make the whole thing look more difficult than it really is.

The first switcher is activated with source inputs 21-29 on the projector, which you can treat like any other inputs, including memories, recalls and channel assignments.

--Bill

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for clearing up my confusion Bill. The Extron Sys8+ doc. shows a 'box' (as does their site) but the doc. at the URL you gave me here says it's exactly as you are saying.

I think I have enough information now to proceed. Thanks again.

For anyone else who wants to try this and needs the link above, it contains an extra period at the end which results in a 'page not found' error. Just remove the trailing period and it works fine.

Andy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.