1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this done.

Do I need a particular video card?

A particular output?

How do I best take advantage of my machine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think any newer video card that has DVI connector would suffice, as long as you're not using said DVI already for your PC monitor. I do not know if there are any affordable PC video cards that offer two DVI-out connectors.

For example, my Ati 9800 has one VGA, one DVI and one S-video connector. I am already using the DVI for my monitor, so I'm facing this same problem. I'll probably end up swapping the DVI cables every time I want to display something from my PC on my new TV (a movie or something). Alternatively, I'll try using S-video, but from what I've seen my video card doesn't have the greatest S-video output.

As you probably already know, HDTVs have HDMI connector which is physically different from DVI, but it's essentially the same signal. You can (well, must) buy a DVI -> HDMI dongle that you plug in to your TV, and then use the regular DVI cable (I already have one, it came with my LCD PC monitor)

The thing I'm not 100% clear about myself is what output resolution the PC should be set to display the optimal picture on direct view HDTVs. Is it 1280x720? is it 720x480? is it 1900x1800? I have no idea... I know however that if you have Ati card, like I do, you should get the latest drivers from Ati, because they apparently have improved support for HDTV output. Also, I've seen people suggesting PowerStip software as a handy tool for experimenting with various standard, and non-standard resolutions.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
well since CRTs are 1080i native or 480p native

I would look at buying an nvidia 6x00 series

the 6600 can be purchased for just over 100 and most come with component output

I would strongly suggest using it

or you can use DVI to HDMI or DVI to DVI depending on the TV

but there should be no difference using component

and you leave the digital video input open for your future HD DVD/Blu Ray player

for ATI cards like the 9500 and above I would check out ATIs accessory store and pick up the correct dongle or breakout cable for component output

for looking to buy one, I would look at the x700 series

ATIs 1080i support over DVI is nil, so you will have to use component if you want 1080i output

I would suggest that to you, Marconelly, and simply connect your PC monitor via VGA

I doubt there is a huge difference

nvidia has great 1080i support over component and dVI output

the best output, is 1080i which is 1920x1080 at 29.970 Hz interlaced or 720x480 at 59.940 Hz

but 1080i is widescreen and 480p is 4:3

also text at 1080i is not good cause of the interlaced resolution

but DVD, videos, pictures will look there best

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
ATIs 1080i support over DVI is nil, so you will have to use component if you want 1080i output
What about 720p, through DVI, and I'll let the TV do the conversion? What resolution/refresh should I go for in that case?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If you use a "TV friendly" video card like the nVidia 6600GT, you don't really need to worry about resolution and refresh rate settings. Just set the card's output to 720p, 1080i, etc and you're good to go.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
What about 720p, through DVI, and I'll let the TV do the conversion? What resolution/refresh should I go for in that case?
they will output 720p over DVI, but there is no overscan compensation if you want to use it

and conversion means less quality when talking about videos, and DVDs

furthermore there is still the annoying flicker of 1080i

it really depends on what you want to do

if you are planning to surf the web, then 480p or 540p at 1080i timing should work

but really like I tell everyone else, why be so gung ho about using DVI

simply use component

not like you will get a better image with DVI and CRTs

over component you will have overscan compensation, 1080i support etc....

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
it looks like there maybe a chance of 1080i output over DVI with ATI now

it looks like the 5.8 catalyst have been released

you should download and try it out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.