AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it preferable to have external equipment like DVD, VCR, Cablebox (analog or digital) connected to a receiver and have the receiver connected to Plasma or is it better to connect equipment directly to Plasma. (Please forgive the elementary question - I did search FAQ and did not find this answer.)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would run everything to the receiver....unless, your plasma has multiple inputs. My 42inch panny doesn't, so I use the a/v inputs and utilize the svideo out for satellite and vcr, and component for dvd...

·
Registered
71 Posts
It depends upon whether your receiver can maintain the bandwith necessary to maintain your HQ output. Most receivers that allow component video swithing do not provide enough BW for the quality image you want.

Regards

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I would dispute the idea that "most" receivers don't have the bandwidth to handle HD. Onkyo and quite a few others quote bandwidth thru the component video of 50mhz, which is certainly more than enough for HD. Others like Denon only quote 35mhz or so, but a number of people here have done very critical viewing with Denon receivers and report absolutely no loss of PQ betwen going direct and runnning the component thru the receiver.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I agree with Spoffo. In fact, some Denon receivers, such as the 3802, have a 27mhz rate and owners report no problems passing HD.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I am in a similar dillema - Do I hook up Satelite and DVD through my reciever S-Video, and my Xbox into the component? (Yamaha reciever does not have component inputs but is excellent otherwise: RV-1105)

Or get an entirely new reciever that can handle component switching?

How much will the picture suffer? (I suppose I could do Xbox via Svideo but then I dont think I can access the HD quality features of the console...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The quality of the picture from your DVD player will be MUCH better out of the component port than s-video - almost like HD on a 42" plasma. Either get a component switch or a new receiver.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo
I would dispute the idea that "most" receivers don't have the bandwidth to handle HD. Onkyo and quite a few others quote bandwidth thru the component video of 50mhz, which is certainly more than enough for HD. Others like Denon only quote 35mhz or so, but a number of people here have done very critical viewing with Denon receivers and report absolutely no loss of PQ betwen going direct and runnning the component thru the receiver.
I've got an Integra 7.2 and an Onkyo NR900, both of which pass component with at least a 50mhz bandwidth. So the equipment is ready to do what you suggest. But what is the consensus as to whether the PQ will be noticeably degraded (even slightly) by doing that? For example, if I only have one component signal device (in my case HDTV cable box), will I lose any PQ by running it through the receiver? I'd prefer running it through the receiver rather than direct so that (a) when I add future component devices I won't have to run new component cables to my monitor and (b) I can use my receiver's OSD while watching a component signal (although I haven't tested things yet to see if the OSD even operates while passing an HDTV component singal, which I somewhat doubt); but I doon't want to do this if it costs any noticeable PQ degradation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.