AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching the Japanese BS-Hivision (Japanese HDTV via satellite) with a Panasonic tuner. The output from the tuner is a "D" connector which is Japanese only termination mechanism. They sell cables with "D" on one side and component RCA, but I need to connect this through VGA HDTV passthrough. Does anyone know whether there is a standard cable solution for this. The last resort is to connect a VGA-RCA/BNC break out cable and via RCA connectors linking to the RCA-D cable, but this appears messy.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,621 Posts
This is not all verified but I'll take a shot at it.

If the D4 connector has component video out, you will not be able to easily convert it to RGBHV 5 wire (what you refer to as VGA). A breakout cable will not convert component video to RGBHV, you'll need an electronic convertor. Key Digital has a new one for about $190. Check this link: http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinf...neek=597924857

I would not recommend going this route, unless you have no other option.

Will your display do component video? If so, I would try the D4 to three wire component video cable, and just run the three wires through your "VGA HDTV passthrough". You'll need another adaptor cable to go from 3 wire to DB-15 (VGA type) connector. If this works, it will eliminate an analog conversion step, which is always the better choice.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.