AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have an older Yamaha HTR receiver (doesn’t even have HDMI ports on it) and a Panasonic Viera 2011 model TV.

I was thinking about buying a new RX-V 75 series receiver to accommodate HDMI but then someone suggested me to use the receiver strictly for audio. I have the usual setup, TV, Cable box (Scientific Atlanta/Cisco terminal) and a Blue Ray player. The cable box has HDMI, but I think it’s 1.3 (no ARC). The Blue Ray has 1.4 HDMI and the TV also has a few 1.4 HDMI ports.

So I thought about connecting the cable box to one of the HDMI ports plus a Toslink optical cable on the TV, the Blue Ray to another HDMI port then connect the optical out of the TV to the optical in of the receiver.

Oh, I use DLNA a lot to stream movies to my TV and I want to enjoy 5.1 sound on these movies.

Would that setup produce true 5.1 surround on all devices?

Thank you,

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I have an older receiver, and I connect HDMI direct to the TV. I also connect audio via optical or coax from the TV, from the Bluray player, and from the cable box to the AVR.

Everything audio works fine for DTS and DD while the hi def video is sent to the TV via HDMI.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The one advantage you would get with the newer receiver is that you would get Dolby True and DTS Master thru the HDMI cable on your blu ray discs. That cannot be done thru toslink. With the newer receiver you might gain a couple of HDMI inputs over What the TV has. What you have suggested would also work, you would get the core DTS signal not the Master DTS signal, and you would get DD. If you like the receiver and it still works fine than go with that. DTS Master Audio is nice but its hardly night and day different than the core DTS IMHO.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie01  /t/1470791/connecting-components-to-avr-or-directly-to-tv#post_23264972

Hi there,

I have an older Yamaha HTR receiver (doesn’t even have HDMI ports on it) and a Panasonic Viera 2011 model TV.

I was thinking about buying a new RX-V 75 series receiver to accommodate HDMI but then someone suggested me to use the received strictly for audio. I have the usual setup, YV, Cable box (Scientific Atlanta/Cisco terminal) and a Blue Ray player. The cable box has HDMI, but I think it’s 1.3 (no ARC)The Blue Ray has 1.4 HDMI and the TV also has a few 1.4 HDMI ports.

So I thought about Connecting the cable box to one of the HDMI ports plus a Toslink optical cable on the TV, the Blue Ray to another HDMI port then connect the optical out of the TV to the optical in on the receiver.

Oh, I use DLNA a lot to stream movies to my TV and I want to enjoy 5.1 sound on these movies.

Would that setup produce true 5.1 surround on all devices?

IMO using the AVR for just audio can make some sense until want to go above 2.1 or 3.1. As soon as you start thinking 5.1 or higher, its time move to an AVR-centered system. By that I mean that all sources go into the AVR and are selected from there, as opposed to using the TV as the control point.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Until you get a new AVR, connect as specified in post #2. You will have separate audio connections from each source device (including the TV). A 2011 Panny will only output 5.1 from its internal tuner and DLNA streaming.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

Thank you all for your comments.

Reading you feedback helped me reach some sort of a compromised final decision.

I'll try my existing receiver (if it still works!) and if I like what I hear, I'll keep it, if not, I'll buy the RX-V 75 receiver.

Thank you again,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts