AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I read the other thread about this, but found it confusing so thought a clearly stated response from someone might be helpful for all.

I have a Sharper Image Entertainment projector which accepts only a three wire connection.

I purchased this wire (CANT POST THE LINK, so it will look weird) i just cut off the first part to see if it would work.

.amazon.com/

VGA-RCA-Component-RGB-Cable/dp/B000FM3EQ0

Which doesnt work. I think it is the wrong wire however, i thought as long as the plugs on the end looked right it should be ok.

I have tried connecting it to 3 computers.

What do I need to make this work? Just a proper wire or something for encoding? I would like to get it right before i spend more money...

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandrePrime /forum/post/20866242

Hello!

I read the other thread about this, but found it confusing so thought a clearly stated response from someone might be helpful for all.

I have a Sharper Image Entertainment projector which accepts only a three wire connection.

I purchased this wire (CANT POST THE LINK, so it will look weird) i just cut off the first part to see if it would work.

.amazon.com/

VGA-RCA-Component-RGB-Cable/dp/B000FM3EQ0

Which doesnt work. I think it is the wrong wire however, i thought as long as the plugs on the end looked right it should be ok.

I have tried connecting it to 3 computers.

What do I need to make this work? Just a proper wire or something for encoding? I would like to get it right before i spend more money...

Thanks!

Alex

what is the model of the computer and what is the projector?

looking on amazon and reading reviews(which I think you didn't) it seems like that cable doesn't work for what you need

you need something like this
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...Video/9a60.asp

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
I believe that toy projector has Component Video .. Amazon still sells the unit and offers the add on video cable for VGA to Component Video

·
Registered
959 Posts
A VGA to component adapter is only going to work if the video card supports it, I don't know of any that do. Most of the videos that supported Component out that I've seen used a DVI to component(ATI) or a mini din style connector to componet(Nvidia) dongle. There are VGA to component converters if non of you video card supports component out even w/ the correct adapter/dongle but they're pretty expensive and don't seem to give as good picture quality as using a video card that supports component out w/o it.

BTW Component has 6 wires not 3, each connector has 2 conductors and normally uses a 2 conductor/wire coax cable for each connector w/ all 3 coax cables commonly molded together and split near the ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I did not read the description on the wire before i bought it - guilty.

Projector is a Sharper Image Entertainment projector.

Computers include Dell mini, Dell vostro, home built desktop with a video out that is a plug for a "flat panel display" part of the plug has a little cross shape and I just have a converted to make it VGA.

This is still a little confusing! So my issue here could be that the projector WANTS component inputs.

Dvd players, video game consoles and PCs put out RCA - so this is the mismatch?

I have connected a TV to my laptop and had it work, and Ive connected a WII to the projector and its worked, and ive connected the WII to a TV and had it work so it seems like they are all using the same communication. I lost the wires I had for the laptop to TV.

So if I am on the right track i should just get the wire and it will work?

I feel like im going to get schooled after this post.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandrePrime /forum/post/20869815

Thanks for all the responses.

I did not read the description on the wire before i bought it - guilty.

Projector is a Sharper Image Entertainment projector.

Computers include Dell mini, Dell vostro, home built desktop with a video out that is a plug for a "flat panel display" part of the plug has a little cross shape and I just have a converted to make it VGA.

This is still a little confusing! So my issue here could be that the projector WANTS component inputs.

Dvd players, video game consoles and PCs put out RCA - so this is the mismatch?

I have connected a TV to my laptop and had it work, and Ive connected a WII to the projector and its worked, and ive connected the WII to a TV and had it work so it seems like they are all using the same communication. I lost the wires I had for the laptop to TV.

So if I am on the right track i should just get the wire and it will work?

I feel like im going to get schooled after this post.

Thanks,

Alex

component=3 cables just for video, HD capable

composite=RCA=1 video cable, usually goes together with 2 audio cables

you effed up and bought a component converter when you need a composite because that projector doesn't take component, unless the pciture I see is wrong

I suggest you try one of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...93QF06M1RRC06F

if it doesn't work then you need a converter in which case don't bother because the projector is kind of a joke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I eff many things up :)

Basically this would have all been simple and I made it complicated by getting the wrong wire.

The description of the 3 wires for component video and 1 wire and 2 sound in the normal wire is very helpful, thanks.

The projector is meant to be a very low cost, low space requiring way for me to watch movies in my room. It was $80. Hopefully the quality is good enough for this! I am surprised at how hard it is to get a cheap used quality projector when it seems like they have been around for long enough.

I dont see a way to mark this thread as solved, but IT IS SOLVED. I will post if it works when i get the wire in the mail.

Thanks for all the help this seems like a good community of smart direct speaking people.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandrePrime /forum/post/20870402

Yes, I eff many things up :)

Basically this would have all been simple and I made it complicated by getting the wrong wire.

The description of the 3 wires for component video and 1 wire and 2 sound in the normal wire is very helpful, thanks.

The projector is meant to be a very low cost, low space requiring way for me to watch movies in my room. It was $80. Hopefully the quality is good enough for this! I am surprised at how hard it is to get a cheap used quality projector when it seems like they have been around for long enough.

I dont see a way to mark this thread as solved, but IT IS SOLVED. I will post if it works when i get the wire in the mail.

Thanks for all the help this seems like a good community of smart direct speaking people.

Not sure if you can return it but if you want a projector on a budget I am suggesting ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-TL-P...item4aae1c8809

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I suspect this one will suck pretty badly. It was a craigslist buy and I thought sharper image had a reputation for quality. You just have to touch the thing to know its a piece of junk, BUT some of the reviews say it has surprisingly good quality.

When im ready for an upgrade ill return here and have my selections vetted.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.