Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Need some advice/confirmation of advice.

I have recently acquired a used Sony TA-E 9000ES HT preamp for my HTPC setup-in-progress. I understand that there the Soundblaster Live! line of cards digital out (mini-jack out) has voltages which are different from audio/hifi equipment (5 volts compared to 0.5 volts).

I had recently obtained advice from a local (Singapore) HTPC enthusiast who assured me that this voltage difference would do no harm to my Sony TA-E 9000ES. (If that person is reading this, I would like to say a sincere 'thank you' for all your previous and current valuable advice which I sought from you). However, since the Sony preamp is currently the most expensive component in my HTPC setup right now, I would like to seek confirmation or repudiation of this advice. (Not going to risk ~US$600 if I can help it!)

So guys ... is it true that using digital line-out direct to the Sony preamp is safe?

Thanks!

Infini-D

------------------

17" Comp Monitor Viewsonic E70

TNT 2 ultra Graphics card

Win TV Theatre TV tuner card Hauppauge

Creative Live! value

Altec Lansing ACS54 4 point surround (40 watts total)

Pioneer DVDRom DVD115

Sony CDROM CDU4811 PY09

Celeron 300a @ 504 Mhz

Cheetah X15 18Gb thru Adaptec 29160

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have heard of individuals who are using the mini jack out who say they do not have any problems. I have also seen Electrical Engineers that have stated, yes it does work - but the question is will the out of spec signal fry the internals over a long period of time. I would suggest you invest the $35 US in the Hoontech SBIII bracket. It works very well. I think you can get the SBII bracket for even less. I have a Denon AVR-4800, and I was just not willing to take the chance.

Mike.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Infini-D:

___It depends on which Creative Live Value you are using. Only the Value II model #4830 and 32’s have an in spec S/PDIF voltage output. As for your Singapore friend suggesting that an out of spec S/PDIF voltage will not harm your equipment … I know of two Denon owners that have burned up digital COAX inputs because of the Live cards! Simply put, do not trust the out of spec voltage. Whoever told you there would be no harm is hoping that you do not but in reality, every electronic component when fed an out of spec voltage is at risk. Your CPU can usually withstand a 15 – 25% change in voltage from spec either way. At the maximum level, you can expect a failure within a year or two whereas at spec, maybe 12 – 15 years life would be the norm. Do you think your Sony can take a 1000% out of spec voltage? If you have read reviews of the Live cards and their out of spec voltages, most will say there is no harm. 3DSound Surge says the same but they are not connecting the Live’s to a true DD/DTS stereo receiver but various digital PC speaker setups.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
830 Posts
Live ct4830 works fine in WinME/Win2000 for ac3/dts passthru on my 9000es...

T.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Live Platinum series, both the original and the 5.1 output the correct level on the Live Drive 5" drive bay box. Checked it with my own scope, just to be sure (Tek 465- an antique, but a "classic").

Regards,

Jon

·
Registered
830 Posts
I invite TA-E9000es owners here:

http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdan...formationforum

It looks like I'm the only HTPC user here. Also you might want to consider a 'better' soundcard than the Live some time down the track - the 9000es certain deserves a better, cleaner sp/dif source.

I'm using a Live simply because Win2000 sp/dif issues forces me to.

T.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all!

Thanks everybody, for your helpful replies.

Just to update u helpful guys -- I have bought the Hoontech DB III for US$32 (S$58) + the appropriate cables.

So now CD digital out goes directly via coaxial digital to my Sony TA-E 9000ES which is the DAC. Digital coaxial simply blows away analog out -- music is more transparent and clear ... I think everything is better.

However, I am getting this readout on my sony preamp when I am playing my DD "Matrix" DVD -- "Linear PCM [48lHz] >>> STREAM=PCM 20BITS [48kHZ] BITRATE=1920kbps FS=48kHz CATEGORY=DIGITAL MIXER". Also the DD led does not light up. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

------------------

Creative Live! value

Hoontech DBIII coaxial digital out

Sony TA-E 9000ES preamp

Sony TA-N 300ES stereo amp X 2 (100 WPC)

PS Audio 100 C stereo amp (100WPC)

Speakers: currently Panasonic FL& R/Sansui RL & R

Pioneer DVDRom DVD115

Sony CDROM CDU4811 PY09

Celeron 300a @ 504 Mhz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Infini-D,

Sometimes you have to go into the setup menu on the DVD itself and tell it that you want DD5.1. I have seen this on a couple of my DVDs. What Software DVD player are you using?

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!

I am using PowerDVD 2.5....

Thanks.

Infini-D

------------------

Creative Live! value

Hoontech DBIII coaxial digital out

Sony TA-E 9000ES preamp

Sony TA-N 300ES stereo amp X 2 (100 WPC)

PS Audio 100 C stereo amp (100WPC)

Speakers: currently Panasonic FL& R/Sansui RL & R

Pioneer DVDRom DVD115

Sony CDROM CDU4811 PY09

Celeron 300a @ 504 Mhz

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does anyone know a good reliable place to order a hoontech adapter from?

I'm looking for a reliable company, because wherever I've seen it before, the web sites looked shady...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've been using a SB Live with Hoontech adaptor for over a year now and have it connected to my Sony TAE9000. I've never had a problem with it.

Chris

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Reading the specs on the hoontech brackets is a little perplexing. There seem to be 2 s/pdif coaxial outpus- one for the front pair of speakers and one for the rear pair. The picture of the DBII on the audience digital products site shows 2 coaxial outputs (labeled #5 and #7) and an optical output (labeled #6)

======quote below======

5. Coaxial 1~ Output the S/PDIF signal to external digital devices. (Front stereo output of the SB Live)

6. Optical Out~ Output optical S/PDIF to external digital devices. Use Toslink ("square-round") type cable (e.g. mini-disk recording).

7. Coaxial 2~ Output S/PDIF signal to external devices.(Rear output pair of the SB Live)

=======================

So you dont really have a single coaxial output that will pass the ac3 signal (all channels)?

The DB3 has the above plus ANOTHER coaxial digital output (what for?) as well as coaxial and digital inputs. Can someone clarify this adapter?

I think I may switch to the Philips acoustic edge or the hercules game theater xp. I just want a directx compatible soundcard that will pass a digital signal within s/pdif spec. WITHOUT buggy drivers or a ton of resource consuming apps that load on startup.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Karos:

___Having used the Live cards for years, I am a bit biased but the buggy drivers are going to come from the Philips Acoustic Edge as well as the XP Gamer. A Guillemot Fortissimo may be in order here as well. The model Live Value II’s #4830 and 4832’s are not only extremely inexpensive but have in spec voltages and stable drivers for both gaming and HTPC use. If you do not know how to install the latest Live Ware 3.0 correctly and setup your card for Digital out, you only have to do a search here in the forums. Secondly, for HTPC use exclusively, pick up an M-Audio 24/96 card and you will be satisfied completely as far as 44.1 and 48 KHz sampling sound output is concerned.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
901 Posts
Karos,

The front SPDIF output is the one to use. You do get the DD or DTS 5.1 output from it is set correctly. You need the 5.1 audio selected in the movei and a compatible player (WinDVD, PowerDVD, ATI player) and Windows 98/ME. What you don't get is any game surround. For Non DVD sources you only get the front speakers. I suspect if you have the rear SPDIF output connected as well you would get the EAX stuff from those, but I have not tested it and I have never seen a receiver that would allow you to have two SPDIF input running at the same time from the same source.

------------------

------------

Simon Wilson
My Naff Home Page

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.