AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this isnt a repeat question...if i hookup a dvd player via component cables to my receiver (which has everything else hooked up by hdmi), do i need to send component cables to both the receiver and tv or will the hdmi cable carry the signal from the component dvd player to the tv?

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrscort /forum/post/19611457

Hope this isnt a repeat question...if i hookup a dvd player via component cables to my receiver (which has everything else hooked up by hdmi), do i need to send component cables to both the receiver and tv or will the hdmi cable carry the signal from the component dvd player to the tv?

Hope that makes sense.

Depend on the receiver! Some can convert to HDMI. Some can't

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrscort /forum/post/19611510

how would i find out? would it be in the manual?

generally speaking, yes, information like this is found in the manual...

any cables you have lying around will do...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
look closer...

hint: page 9, "video connection formats"...

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
That one is pretty entry level like the Onkyo TX-SR308 but a little better since it has Audyssey 2EQ room calibration built in. I'm gonna say no it doesn't take component video and output thru HDMI. You'll need a seperate component video cable to run to the TV.

Or you could just buy a DVD player with HDMI out. Those are pretty cheap now, around $50. Or an Insignia Blu Ray player with WI-FI under $100.

Page 9 of your manual says it does not convert between formats so component-in must be output by component-out.

Not a bad little system for $399 or less.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i was actually just reading page 9 a while ago and found it...the dvd player i have is my made Clear Play...its one of those that allow you to download filters to cut out profanity etc...the one i have unfortunately isnt hdmi and i would hate to pay for an hdmi version but i may have to so i can reduce the number of wires going to my tv.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19611818

That one is pretty entry level like the Onkyo TX-SR308 but a little better since it has Audyssey 2EQ room calibration built in. I'm gonna say no it doesn't take component video and output thru HDMI. You'll need a seperate component video cable to run to the TV.

Or you could just buy a DVD player with HDMI out. Those are pretty cheap now, around $50. Or an Insignia Blu Ray player with WI-FI under $100.

Page 9 of your manual says it does not convert between formats so component-in must be output by component-out.

Not a bad little system for $399 or less.

Actually that Insignia Blu Ray is $999 so not quite under $100.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts