AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just purchased 2 of the EchoStar TR-40CRA units, one to connect an LCD TV + VCR, and the other unit to connect another LCD TV + DVD recorder. Both LCD TVs have their own ATSC tuner, so I wanted to use one output from the CECB to connect to the TV using analog passthrough so that the digital signal goes directly to the TV. The other output from the CECB would go into the VCR or DVD recorder unit and would require the D - to - A conversion, since neither the VCR nor the DVD recorder has an ATSC tuner. The User Guide for the TR-40CRA does not address connecting the CECB to a VCR or DVD recorder.

I purchased this model CECB because I understood (from a discussion I started on another AVS Forum thread a while back) that this unit would allow me to accomplish what I describe above without my having to purchase splitters. But now my little head is hurting: how do I make the connections to accomplish my goal? Do I use the coaxial output connection on the back of the CECB to connect to the TV, and the composite (RCA) connection on the back of the CECB to connect the DVD recorder (or VCR), and then run the setup wizard on the CECB for the DVD recorder (or VCR) connection?

Help!!

Doug

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The problem with such a setup (coax to TV and composite to recorder) is that you won't be able to watch something on the TV (via its internal tuner) while recording something else. To do this you'd have to split the coax before the CECB. There's already lots of info about the Pal in its own thread.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvroberts /forum/post/15430189

Hello All,

I just purchased 2 of the EchoStar TR-40CRA units, one to connect an LCD TV + VCR, and the other unit to connect another LCD TV + DVD recorder. Both LCD TVs have their own ATSC tuner, so I wanted to use one output from the CECB to connect to the TV using analog passthrough so that the digital signal goes directly to the TV. The other output from the CECB would go into the VCR or DVD recorder unit and would require the D - to - A conversion, since neither the VCR nor the DVD recorder has an ATSC tuner. The User Guide for the TR-40CRA does not address connecting the CECB to a VCR or DVD recorder.

I purchased this model CECB because I understood (from a discussion I started on another AVS Forum thread a while back) that this unit would allow me to accomplish what I describe above without my having to purchase splitters. But now my little head is hurting: how do I make the connections to accomplish my goal? Do I use the coaxial output connection on the back of the CECB to connect to the TV, and the composite (RCA) connection on the back of the CECB to connect the DVD recorder (or VCR), and then run the setup wizard on the CECB for the DVD recorder (or VCR) connection?

Help!!

Doug

Using a coax splitter to the CECB and the TV does have the advantage of allowing you to watch the digital TV on one channel while you are recording another channel. If you don't use a splitter, the TV will only show the channel tuned with the CECB while it is recording.

In my system, I've used a two-way splitter into my home and a three-way upstream in a room,

without seeing any drop in signal strength at the CECB, compared to connecting the CECB directly to the antenna.

I have seen a signal drop (on weak stations) using a splitter on a friend's system. The effect of a splitter on your antenna system may vary.

In either case, connect the CECB RF coax and connect the composite RCA audio and video out to the VCR and DVD recorder RCA inputs.

Both CECB outputs will be active. Then in Set Up/Audio setup select stereo. (default setting) That is all the set up you need to do.

Set the recorder timers and the timers on the CECB to record.

Assuming the TV is 16:9 set the CECB picture format to "Full" to record a squeezed picture that you can stretch to 16:9 with the picture format selection on your TV.

If your TV has picture in picture, power on the CECB and the VCR and you can use that input for PIP on your TV.
PIP input availability varies with TV brand.

Beeper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both Biker19 and Bleeper for the advice. My intention when I bought the EchoStar TR-40CRA was that this CECB could be used in place of a splitter to run a 'passthrough' to the TV from the CECB and a second output from the CECB to the VCR or DVD Recorder unit with a converted DtoA signal. But when I was discussing this in another thread over a month ago, the advice I got was to purchase the Zinwell CECB that allowed this set-up. The Zinwell CECB units were out of stock at Solid Signal when I went to place the order, so I went with the EchoStar TR-40CRA as I did some more research on a few blogs and sites where it received very high rating and had, I thought, the same capability as the Zinwell for connecting both the LCD TVs using a passthrough and the VCR or DVD recorder with the converted signal. But I guess that I am mistaken. Not that purchasing a couple splitter for my 2 set-ups is a big deal. I just wanted to avoid th extra purchase and possible degradation in signal by going the splitter route.

Doug

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
The DTVPAL / TR40CRA don't operate this way, bu the Philco TB100HH9 does (offer passthru while sending output through the RCA outputs).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.