Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Well once again I bring you all a question!!!

My friend Brian just recently got a new 61 inch Sony Hi-Scan RPTV, it has Sony's DRC built in and has a component progressive capable input on the back. But

What would be the best way to connect his Geforce3 based computer into the TV?? He also is already using a sweet Sony 21' Monitor that is actually connected with the five jack BNC connecetors, I was thinking that with some BNC to RCA adapters, I could hook the PC right into the progressive input on the back???

Please help me figure out what hardware I will need to accomplish this!!!

I have heard someone say something about a trans---something...... hehhehe what an idiot I feel like!!!!!!

Powerstrip would be useful right??

Thanks for listening!!!

KING RYGAR

·
Registered
629 Posts
Since the new Sony HS series (HS20/20's) have done away with the RGBHV connection that is present on the back of last years HS10, you're going to have to get a transcoder to convert the RGB from your GF3 to COMPONENT.

RadioShack sells them, as well as audioauthority.

Good luck!

-Ryan Dinan

·
Registered
629 Posts
One more thing -

Yes, powerstrip is necessary if you want to run higher than 640x480 resolution.

The HS series looks beautiful with a desktop resolution of 960x540p - That's what Im running my HS10 at right now (same timing as 1080i).

-Ryan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right On!!

Sounds nice!!!

Any Idea how much one of those transcoders cost???

I am also guessing that with this type of connection to the Hi-Scan, I could get Dscaler, a TV Capture card, and use that to scale say, a PS2, through the PC with Dscaler and get a much better image than just hooking the PS2 Directly into the TV??

Sounds Nice!!!!

Thanks again Ryan!!

KING RYGAR

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, any way to continue to use the monitor as well?

I am thinking maybe some type of signal switcher, that would have two VGA style outputs???

Any Ideas????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone???

I'm in the dark here!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best way to do this is to have two VGA cards. One for the HDTV and a basic cheap VGA card for the monitor.

Windows XP, and 98 all support two VGA cards. Just install the new card and follow the setup instructions.

Not sure how power strip will deal with two cards pretty sure it will be fine.

Regards

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks like I would need one also, as I have a Sony KP57HW40. One reason many of you go the HTPC route is to get better DVD image quality than afforded by a typical stand-alone player, correct? But I'm giving up resolution by being forced to use a VGA to component converter, am I back to the same quality picture I started with the stand-alone player(or worse)? I'm using a Panny RP-56 progressive. If I'm still ahead in PQ, by how much am I ahead? Another question: if my TV is 1080i capable, shouldn't be able to upconvert DVDs to 540p or 1080i with an HTPC? Which should look best?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
For watching DVD, a quality transcoder like the Key Digital or Audio Authority doesn't give up any resolution. This is because DVD's are displayed on a YUV 4:2:2 overlay, the same format Y/Pr/Pb was designed for. The "transcoding", if done with a quality unit, is virtually lossless.

RGBHV (VGA) may be slightly better at displaying sharp computer images such as the Windows desktop, web browsing, text, etc.

A good transcoder has about 120 MHz bandwidth on the Y, Pr, and Pb connections. However, some displays don't support the full bandwidth on Pr & Pb, hence the potential reduction in image quality of computer images.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, Helzerr! I may look into one then...but I'm still wondering if I can better my DVD image quality by going HTPC, and if so how big the difference could be. I'm not interested in MP3s or somesuch, only improving DVDs by upconverting to as high a resolution as my HDTV will handle(or whatever looks best).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.