AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I found out the new Realmagic XCard from Sigma Design has an excellent TV-Output but it only plays MPEG files on the TV - so no desktop or boot sequence.

I need a gfx card with which I can do both - excellent dvd/divx output and also be able to navigate through my directories and tools (to have only one TV - not a TV AND a monitor). What do you recommend? Which gfx card should I buy? What experiences have you made? Which has the best TV-Out? Is it possible to have both in my HTPC - a XCard and e.g. a Matrox 550? If yes, how to switch between those?

Sorry for all those questions but I'm pretty new to this HTPC thing. Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
What type of TV ar we talking about here, and what inputs do you have?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If the X-card is like the Hollywood Plus card. They include a propritary pass through cord, that lets you view the desk top on the tv/monitor.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I am guessing you are looking for s-video or composite out to the TV? If so, the consensus 'round here seems to be that external scan converters work best (but cost the most), followed by Matrox and ATI video cards with TV output. If you're considering an external scan converter, check out this scan converter buyers guide .

However, since the title of the thread is "Connecting HTPC to TV [Best Way?]", the BEST way is via RGBHV or Y/Pr/Pb connections if your TV has them. In this case the ATI Radeon 7000 series is regarded to be the best, with a Key Digital transcoder if using Y/Pr/Pb.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks

I am sure this will do the trick as I am not an videophile, I will post a review when I finally get one. You know I think someone needs to stat a true HTPC site. Similar to HardOCP, or techspot or something. But instead of just hardware for PC make it hardware for HTPC's. You get the best of a few worlds. Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
As long as you didn't go for the ultra cheap RCA transcoder ;)

I like the idea of a HTPC hardware review site... Might have to give that some thought, I have the skills to start one. I'm sure there are quite a few people here that could contribute, now if I can just get my hands on all that great hardware...

·
Registered
134 Posts
A site like this would cover a large range of hardware would be quite applicable to a large range of people as HTPC hardware applies to a number of areas in computing. It is in an interesting idea, maybe AVS would sponsor such a page :-D. It really would not have to be even a dedicated review site, just a site to layout some faqs for various setups, recommended hardware, powerstrip how to's, software setup etc. Kind of like a Keohi site for HDTV's.

how does www htpcworld com sound or.. www tvout com

While I am dreaming please send me a p 2.4B and a r300 radeon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.