AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My laptop has a HDMI port as doe’s my TV will TV used as monitor speakers turn on.

I have a win7 LT connected to a Samsung 27” TV p2770HD this
https://www.testproductreview.com/2012/08/samsung-syncmaster-p2770hd-lcd-tv-and.html w/ a VGA cable.

Like what is vitualsound?

The volume is kindof low because w/ the VGA seriel cable doesn’t
Power the TVs speakers, my only audio is the LTs speakers which are wimpy.

Connecting LT to TV w/ HDMI power the TVs speakers?

Sometimes I’ll hard wire from LTs audio earphone 3.5mm jack to external
Speaker however it’s a hassel when this speaker constantly powers down after a pause play, like to make a sandwhich come back no speaker gotta physicalley turn it back on.

I looked behind the TV for a 3.5 audio jack didn't see one however half the back connections are covered w/ the braket that holds the TV upright.

did see a bunch of RCA ports is there a 3.5 audio to RCA adaptor where I can use the TVs speakers or can I cut a old RCA there's 2 wires for each plug assumming the 3.5 has 2 wires also can these two differnt cable be spliced together?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
update: there is a 3.5mm earphone port on the TV it must be just an output because I connected the 3.5 mm ternimals attached to the VGA, result no audio.
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
HDMI will feed both audio and video to the TV (assuming the TV has speakers). However, audio will most likely be limited to 2 channels.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes all TVs have speakers, probablly better than the tiny LTs.

2 channels is fine I use as work station and browse the net w/. thanks I'll go behind my big TVs cabinet and steal a cable it's a PITA to access the behind tv stuff. then report back

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
finialley got around to connecting the TV to lap top w/ hdmi cable (it required me cutting the brace used to hold TV)

result no audio from TV speakers just the lap tops speakers work.
in addition to hdmi (which is susposed to carry video an audio) I needed to plug in the 3.5 mm head phone jack only works w/ vga cable not the hdmi.

so now when the man gets his volume turned way down on yboob I can now turn it up.

why did'nt the hdmi carry audio did carry video, thanks STB

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
On your PC, did you see your TV listed as speaker? If you do, choose that. If not, given you are still running WIn7 on an old PC, it is possible that your laptop's HDMI port is not setup to pass audio or lack the proper driver to send audio over HDMI.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I connect hdmi cable I get the no signal message.I have never plugging into this hdmi port. can I test the the hdmi port w/ a dvd player?and yes still using win7. thanks STB

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
If you mean the TV, of course you can test it with a dvd player. Why not just bring your laptop next to TV and test it? You probably need to setup multi-monitor again on your laptop to have the video sent out from the HDMI port.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually I wanted to test the hdmi port. I can connect to the new projector to test LTs port.

I look at device manager under monitors I have 2.device manager thinks the tv is analog.

additionally w/ the vga cable and the earphone 3.5mm cable upon startup I hear a clicking noise never heard this before.
please refresh my memory on how to setup multi-monitor.thanks STB

edit: I'm carefull w/ plugging into a hdmi port I always power down pior to plug in.I've read that replacing a port is basicelly a printed circuit board kinkof like a mother board on a PC most likely not worth the $ to replace this type of port.
tv as monitor.jpg

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
If you are testing HDMI, why are you still have the VGA port connected?

It does not look like your HDMI connection is detected unless currently you didn't have the laptop display enabled. That 'Generic PnP Monitor' can be your internal display or the HDMI connected monitor.

For Win7, you need to use your laptop's dedicated keyboard key to switch monitors. I'm not sure if Win+P works on that OS or not.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
when I plugged in hdmi that would be w/out the vga and vice versa.(only one cable at a time)

I've right clicked desktop/screen resolution this popup has no option for enabling hdmi. shouldn't this port be enabled from factory.
the F4 func. key has a square icon is the square a monitor? I never use function keys so I don't know or identifie w/ the func.icons.

I'm starting to think the clicking noises I hear at startup will have a negative effect on the hardware.
2ndmonitor.jpg

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
You have to use the hot key cycle through all monitors. There is nothing to enable for HDMI but it needs to setup as secondary monitor.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought display2 is the secondary display. what is the procedure for "hot key cycle through all monitors"

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
No your display2 still says Analog which means it is your VGA connection. Looks like your laptop also lacks necessary hardware to detect if an analog connection is really connected or you didn't unplug the VGA cable from the laptop.
HDMI connection is purely digital.

How long is your HDMI cable, really?

Laptops usually has a dedicated key on the keyboard (usually one of the function keys) to switch monitor output.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes I have to have vga to get a signal.

the hdmi cable is 2'
what doe's the monitor out icon look like? thanks

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
Each laptop have different symbols. Can't just disconnect your VGA and use your laptop's screen to see what is going on?

Your screenshot above means you already able to configured the multi-monitor setup but your HDMI port is not detected being connected. I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. If you need to configure HDMI connection, why you connect the VGA? HDMI port must be plugged in and connected to your TV before you can configure it for use on the PC. You can't configure it offline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts