AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radeon 9700 pro has an s-video out and my CT-30WX15 30 inch hdtv monitor has a couple of s-video in. Would It damage my tv in any way to connect it? I also have a aiw 8500 which has composite video out. Should I use the s-video or the composite?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
svideo and composite SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I can explain why if you want to know why)

for PC use on a HD monitor

you can set svideo or composite output to 1024x768 but thats ********!!!!

it gets scaled to 720x480 interlaced by the TV out

and svideo and composite are limited to 720x480i no matter what the source

and svideo is better than composite

svideo separates the brightness and color to produce a better image

and you cannot damage your TV using a PC with it (maybe using DVI output to your TV but unlikely...... but not with analogue video like component, svideo, or composite)

but really buy this
http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2537967

this allows you to use component video output

which will allow you to use resolutions higher than 720x480i

you could output either 720x480p or 1920x1080i

·
Registered
17 Posts
JDA2K3 is mostly right, the resolution on an S-video gets downgraded into a composite signal that the tv can handle...

In other words, the computer monitor's resolution is much higher (and also more complicated than a standard CRT monitor signal), so the image will be reduced to fit. Doing so will create "Dot Crawl" that can be noted on a paused image, most easily spotted on letters and print on the screen (it kind of looks like theres a tiny dotted outline around each letter, and it dances back and forth).

To fix this you should use a convertor. I work for a cable company that sells one, you can find them anywhere, here's a link to one I work with daily:

Goto- ShowMeCables -the link at bottom in my sig. Type in "Ultimate" without the quotes in the search bar. (A picture of a small silver box should come up, it's the Ultimate 2000, costs about $90)

This converts the signal down to composite or svideo. You don't have to get a composite output card to get good results, and you can go without the converter with no harm at all to your television.

Before these came out, I used an ATI All-In-Wonder using composite video output to my tv for years. You kind of get used to the dot crawl after a while, its not bad for presentations and the like, but if you want to watch movies or games off your computer on your TV, I'd recommend going with DVI, or one of the converters out there.

If you have any questions you can call me at work, monday through friday 8-5 central, I'd be happy to answer any questions and obviously no obligation to buy that convertor or anything else on our site.

James-

the HelpMeCableGuy

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
James, welcome to the forum. Please read the rules. Your signature has been removed. Please do not use this forum for any form of marketing.

Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.