AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into a strange problem. We got my sister a new LG 49" 4K TV for Christmas. We connected it to her Onkyo HT-R2295 receiver via HDMI and lost all audio. As long as the HDMI cable is not connected to the TV everything on the Onkyo works, two DVD players both play audio, the AM and FM radio works, everything is fine. As soon as the HDMI cable is connected to the TV however all audio stops, the DVD players, the AM and FM, everything. Pull the HDMI cable out of the TV and the audio comes back. Connect it back to the TV and silence. Is there some kind of compatibility issue between the Onkyo's older HDMI and the HDMI in the new 4K TV? I don't even know what version of HDMI the Onkyo has, the manual doesn't mention it, it just says "HDMI", not HDMI and then some version following it which leads me to believe it may be first generation. Btw, video is not a problem, both DVD players are connected to the Onkyo via HDMI and that video does get to the TV no problem. The audio also gets to the TV, the TV speakers play, we just don't get any audio to the speakers connected to the Onkyo. Apparently everything worked fine when the Onkyo was connected to the old TV by HDMI.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Monte

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've run into a strange problem. We got my sister a new LG 49" 4K TV for Christmas. We connected it to her Onkyo HT-R2295 receiver via HDMI and lost all audio. As long as the HDMI cable is not connected to the TV everything on the Onkyo works, two DVD players both play audio, the AM and FM radio works, everything is fine. As soon as the HDMI cable is connected to the TV however all audio stops, the DVD players, the AM and FM, everything. Pull the HDMI cable out of the TV and the audio comes back. Connect it back to the TV and silence. Is there some kind of compatibility issue between the Onkyo's older HDMI and the HDMI in the new 4K TV? I don't even know what version of HDMI the Onkyo has, the manual doesn't mention it, it just says "HDMI", not HDMI and then some version following it which leads me to believe it may be first generation. Btw, video is not a problem, both DVD players are connected to the Onkyo via HDMI and that video does get to the TV no problem. The audio also gets to the TV, the TV speakers play, we just don't get any audio to the speakers connected to the Onkyo. Apparently everything worked fine when the Onkyo was connected to the old TV by HDMI.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Monte
Does the onkyo have an option to enable ‘ARC’ as well as the Lg enabled ARC? The other issue could be that the LG has a specific hdmi input that is hdmi 2.2 and the older onkyo will have a problem playing nice. Hopefully this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the onkyo have an option to enable ‘ARC’ as well as the Lg enabled ARC? The other issue could be that the LG has a specific hdmi input that is hdmi 2.2 and the older onkyo will have a problem playing nice. Hopefully this helps and good luck!
I'm not sure, I'm going to have to review the Onkyo manual more closely. I would have expected the LG TV to be backwards compatible at least enough to allow the Onkyo to keep audio playing from other sources. It can't even play AM/FM when connected to the TV and that seems really strange. It's almost like it's shorting something out to connect the two. I found and tried three different HDMI inputs on the LG, all behave the same way. Problem is my sister is in another city, I had very limited time to attempt to get it working and now I'm going to have to do it remotely. It may be easier to just get her a new receiver.

mk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This is truly a strange circumstance, have you tried a different cable just to rule that out. If you get sound to the TV when the HDMI is plugged in but not the receiver then this is a setting issue and you need to read the manual for both pieces of equipment. I would start by turning off anything CEC related at this point. Somewhere in the reciever settings you will have a choice for TV sound or receiver sound, i suspect that the previous tv may not have had ARC.

Check page 45 of the manual, tv audio out should be turned off by default.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is truly a strange circumstance, have you tried a different cable just to rule that out. If you get sound to the TV when the HDMI is plugged in but not the receiver then this is a setting issue and you need to read the manual for both pieces of equipment. I would start by turning off anything CEC related at this point. Somewhere in the reciever settings you will have a choice for TV sound or receiver sound, i suspect that the previous tv may not have had ARC.
Not yet, thing is we pulled her old TV out, disconnected that HDMI cable from it, set the new TV in place, connected the cable to it and the problem started. The only thing that changed was the TV. Maybe I should have her try putting the old TV back in place to verify everything comes back.

mk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Dont rule out coincidence. I have had the same receiver in my room for 4 years then one day the dog hit a button on the remote that caused all kinds of issues. I even did a full reset before i realized what had happened, just one single button pushed inadvertently

1 - 7 of 7 Posts