AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys dont laugh to hard but i had a hard time connecting what i have up to my tv. I have a direct tv that goes through tivo to the tv. I use the audio cable for that. Then s-video for the video for those 2 units. Then i have a vcr hooked through the rf connections on back of tivo to vcr. Then from vcr to tv. THen i have a dvd recorder going from the components on back of it to the components on back of tv.

I guess what i would want to do is hook up the dvd recorder to work like the vcr.What i want to do is to turn VHS to DVD. ALso want to make dvds off of direct tv i have saved to HD.

I Think ill just use the tivo as my channel changer, although i think the recorder has a tuner. NOt sure what the best way to hook this up.

I did a search on this forum for guides and didnt have any luck. They are prop right under my nose, but i cant find them. I downloaded the manual to read while i wait on the recorder. It sure doesnt show much hooking up components. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Spooky...not such a silly question. Its getting crazy with all these wires!

I have so many connections its a little insane.

First, my DVDR is the E80 and I believe it offers essentially the same connections as the 100.

Second, for maximum flexibilty, I am using my stereo to route signals. Its a maze back there, but, I got it working.

Third, the RF connection on the DVDR is simply pass through or for recording RF...the recorder does not output its signal through the RF like a VCR does.

Fourth, for best quality transfer from the VHS, you need to connect it to the recorder via composite (RCA) cable. You could run the RF over to the recorder, but, there is noticeable degradation in the signal.

You don't say how many inputs you have to the TV...this is key to maximizing flexibility.

Here's a simple hookup, but, it requires you to turn pretty much everything on:

Assumptions:

Tivo: 2 composite outputs (R/L/V) + SVideo and an RF?

VCR: 1 composite in, 1 out plus RF

DVDR: 2 composite in/ 2 composite out + Svideo plus front Inputs + component out

TV: 1 composite + Svid and RF? and one component...probably front inputs as well?

RF: Ant -> Tivo -> VCR-> DVDR -> TV : this is your utility connection so you can watch tv w/o turning on everything...not the best quality, but, okay coming from satellite

Composite: if you have two composite inputs on the TV, I'd route one from the Tivo directly to the TV so you don't have to mess w/ anything else to watch satellite...

2nd composite/SVid:

Tivo -> L1 DVDR -> TV input 2

VHS -> L2 DVDR

I had some problems using Svideo cable, however, the DVDR will convert composite to output of SVideo while recording--not on play through materials (i think).

If you have an AV receiver, things get a lot crazier....hope i got the i/os right; hope this helps.

Try to keep your signal cables away from power cables and/or any crossings are at 90 degrees...I'm not a cable junky, so I don't recommend spending big bucks on cables, however, good connectors on the ends are important...I do use shielded cables for all signals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
for recording VHS, I recommend using the 2 hour mode...VHS is already poor quality and the 2 hour mode pretty much captures the video w/o loss. Beyond that, I noticed degradation in the signal.

For satellite broadcast, the FR mode at around 3 hours is pretty darn good...hard to distinquish from the original broadcast. You could probably get away with the 4 hour mode, but, I think you would definitely notice the lower quality video.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks very much for your reply. Ill have to look things over pretty good to get this i think. I remember the days when you just had a cable box and a vcr. Now i have several more components to add on. Sure is nice though when you get it all working. Ya i had a guy hook all my stuff up once and he did it all through the stereo like you do. Wife worried about the stereo getting to hot or something cause it had to stay on all the time. I should have left it cause i turn it on most the time now anyway . No sense having surround sound and not using it.

I did have anothe question though. Since i have a tuner on my tivo and will have one on the dvd recorder, is it possible to hook it up to where i can use both tuners. The reason i ask, is i sure would like to record a show and watch one at the same time. With tivo you can watch a recorded show and record one at the same time. But not record and watch a live show at the same time. I have two rf connections on back of tv. Not sure if that would help or not.

I sure feel dumb asking these basic questions. I shoulda learned this stuff along time ago instead of letting someone else do it for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW i am kind of limited on my inputs on the TV. I have 3 sets of inputs and 2 sets of component inputs. three s-video and 2 antenna inputs. I also have a RGB input. The only thing open now is the b input on the antenna RF. One set of component video and the RGB. Of course if i wired everything through the amplifier, the a/v inputs would clear out i guess. Oh i do have one full set of inputs on the front of the TV. I really only like to use those temporary, because i don't like wires running around the front to the back. I was hoping that there wouldn't be a degrading between VHS to DVD though. Maybe the DVD will look at least as good as the VHS tape.

·
Registered
24 Posts
3 inputs to the TV is a good number...I like to have my recorder going directly to one input so I can see exactly what the recorder sees...I've even considered setting up a small TV to use as a monitor for this purpose.

Yesterday, I used PIP/split screen to achieve a similar result.

Like I said, (and others have said similar), to avoid poor results when copying tapes, use 2 hr or shorter timespan mode...atleast thats my experience. A really good quality tape and a little tolerance on your end and you might go to 3 hours, but, their would be noticeable digitization.

I think I missed something in your equipment: you have direct TV running through a stand alone Tivo unit??? If this is the case, your direct TV unit would need a dual tuner and I don't think you have that. You could record DTV with the Tivo and over the air broadcast on a separate channel, but, you may be out of luck with your current equipment. I think the newer Tivo/directTv units have dual tuners--you might consider an upgrade (hey, its only $$$$).

good luck. let me know if you've got more questions...if so, I'll need more details on the equipment...lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I go through the Direct TV receiver to the TiVo. From the TiVo to the TV. The Current TiVo does not have dual tuners. I though long and hard on that one. I didn't see the since of buying another Direct TV receiver, since i already had one. I would have done that different i think looking back and bought one with a dual tuner. What I'm going to do is go from the TiVo to the DVD recorder. Go from the DVD recorder to the VCR. As Far as the RF, i will go to the TiVo-Vcr-Dvd recorder to input on TV. Does this sound right

If I'm right the DVD recorder has a tuner, thats why i was wondering since i would then have the TiVo tuner and the DVD recorder tuner, i could watch one live program while recording another. Is this feasible?

Man this is confusing. Anyway any more help or suggestions would surely be appreciated. I'm getting the recorder tomorrow and need to get some of the saved programs off of the TiVo and onto the recorder. Then put them on DVD. TiVo is running out of hard drive space.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks i will try that setup too. I have another question though. I was going to use the component connections from the back of recorder to the TV. Do you get a better picture with the component or the s- video connections. I know i use the component connections on my current DVD player to my TV and get a good picture. Then use the Audio connections from the player to the audio inputs of my TV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.