AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like many of you about a month ago I took the plunge and got the pdp-5071. Great tv. Thanks to all on this board for posting your reviews and making my ddecision process easier.

My question is ... I am trying to conenct my computer to tv via PC input and i am having hard time understanding what cable I need to use for this.

My computer has 3 plugs on the back of the video card.... DVI, S-Video, VGA/SVGA. The computer is about 3-4yrs old, but the video card is still good. What cable would i need to connect from video card to the pioneer?

I asked several different stores (Best Buy, CompUSA, Radio Shack) for help, but they do not know what I am talking about.

Will the Svga cable work for this? Also does the Pioneer has male or female plug?

How is the resolution on the screen?

Please help me out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any of your connectors will work.

S-video will only give you a 480i output, the panel will do alot of scaling to the image. The desktop will look pretty bad, but low resolution video may look good through this port, but this is probably the worst option overall.

You can hookup through your DVI port using a DVI->HDMI cable or a straight DVI or HDMI cable with the appropriate adapter. This method will let you input standard HD resolutions to your TV, like 720p, 1080i or even 1080p24. You can't match the panel's resolution with this input, so text will not look crystal clear, but video should look pretty good.

VGA supports 1360x768 at 1:1 pixel mapping, meaning if you set it up right, you'll get a crystal clear desktop through this method (panel does no scaling to the image). This input would look most like a computer monitor. The contrast/gamma/color saturation this port may be lower than through the other ports, but you can adjust this from your computer. The one drawback to the VGA port is during fast motion video (especially stuff like camera pans), this input displays a small amount of vertical tearing with any source.

I probably confused you far more than you were to begin with, so I'll try and simplify.

You need either a DVI->HDMI cable or a VGA (SVGA) cable. DVI will offer a nice picture, but it won't be super sharp because the panel has to scale the image. VGA will be very sharp and will look the best, but you may notice some vertical tearing (basically video artifacts) during fast motion video or games.

VGA is definitely your best bet if you're doing desktop stuff only, and you have a choice between DVI or VGA if you want to use your computer for video or games - both have slight tradeoffs.

As far as male/female - the male ends should be on the cable, while your computer and plasma will both have female ends (broken pins are much easier to replace on a cable than on a TV!).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help dd3mon. No you didnt confuse me. I knew there was going to be a trade of between each option, i just didnt know what they were.

I dont really play that many PC games anymore. I have xbox360, ps2 and xbox for that now. Just mainly dont want to walk between my computer and tv when i need to send an email.

So I think i will go for the VGA option. Seems the best way in my case.

J

ust to be clear ... i will need both male ends for the pc and the tv right?

Will a SVGA (Super VGA)cable be good?

·
Registered
74 Posts
You want a cable that looks like this on both ends:

SVGA is good, the "S" just means it's a higher quality VGA cable, capable of higher resolutions which older standard VGA cables were not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks again. I appreciate your help. To the store i go.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd3mon /forum/post/9474275

VGA supports 1360x768 at 1:1 pixel mapping, meaning if you set it up right, you'll get a crystal clear desktop through this method (panel does no scaling to the image). This input would look most like a computer monitor. The contrast/gamma/color saturation this port may be lower than through the other ports, but you can adjust this from your computer. The one drawback to the VGA port is during fast motion video (especially stuff like camera pans), this input displays a small amount of vertical tearing with any source.

Is this a known limitation/issue for all vga connections? I got tearing with my ATI Radeon X1400 over vga connected to my Pio 427XA as described here ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.