AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I had intended to setup a record player in my office. I bought a turntable and a Rega Brio3 amp. Now I am planning to setup what would have been my office as a media/gaming room.

I'd like to still use my Brio3, but I need an AV receiver to run a 5.1 setup. Is there a way to passthru the output from the Brio3 into AV receiver then onto my 2 front speakers? Or am I better off just using a 2nd set of front speakers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can't see why you couldn't just use the Tape Out of the Brio into any analog audio input on the AVR.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/18220915

Off the top of my head, I can't see why you couldn't just use the Tape Out of the Brio into any analog audio input on the AVR.

This is exactly what I have done with my Sansui. This way you are using only the phono preamp. My only concern has been the fact that I have no speakers connected to the Sansui stereo amp. Can this damage the power amp section of the Sansui?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
My only concern has been the fact that I have no speakers connected to the Sansui stereo amp. Can this damage the power amp section of the Sansui?

Don't see how it could. Given that your Tape Out is ahead of the volume control, you could turn the volume all the way down, and pretty much nothing would reach the amp section.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/18228416

Don't see how it could. Given that your Tape Out is ahead of the volume control, you could turn the volume all the way down, and pretty much nothing would reach the amp section.

Yes you're right. I checked the schematic and the volume is after. I've been running it this way for 2 years and there has been no smoke. I have the speaker selection switch set to off and the volume set to 0.

I currently have the tape out going to 2 channel analog inputs on my avr445. Connecting here creates an analog to digital conversion within the receiver. I have direct 8 channel inputs on the receiver that will maintain the analog signal without conversion. Do you see a problem pluging in here?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
I currently have the tape out going to 2 channel analog inputs on my avr445. Connecting here creates an analog to digital conversion within the receiver. I have direct 8 channel inputs on the receiver that will maintain the analog signal without conversion. Do you see a problem pluging in here?

An analog purist would not want to send the signal through an ADC/DAC chain. If you're not using any DSP on your analog source, I'd use the analog pass-through. But the digitization isn't going to have any audible effect, so purism is the only reason not to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/18229279

An analog purist would not want to send the signal through an ADC/DAC chain. If you're not using any DSP on your analog source, I'd use the analog pass-through. But the digitization isn't going to have any audible effect, so purism is the only reason not to do it.

If I use the tape out from the sansui where does the tone control come from? Would the sound not seem flat? The avr has no base mangement through its 6/8 channel direct inputs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts