AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my PS3 (not arrived yet) and I need help getting the equipment to set it up. I have a Sony KDF-E50A10 TV, the TV only has one HDMI input which is currently occupied by my cable box, and an Onkyo TX-SR602 reciever that doesn't have any HDMI inputs or outputs. Obviously i'll need an HDMI switcher of some sort and at least one HDMI cable. I assume i'll need to use the optical connection for audio on my receiver. Is this correct? Any opinions on the nest place to get this stuff? Anything else i may need to know about setup?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think your assessment is spot on.

If your intentions are to have both your cable and PS3 connected via HDMI and because your limited to one input on the display and zero on the AVR than a switcher is an absolute. The best audio the PS3 can produce is by using the HDMI, but since your not able to connect to your AVR first a toslink connection is the next best option. Also an FYI, the PS3 can only pass audio over a single output - meaning that if you use this setup you'll have to forgo audio from your display, having it only produced on the AVR - not a big deal really.

As far hardware is concerned Monoprice.com is a great resource - they'll have exactly what you need and their prices are excellent.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I bought a 4 port HDMI 1.3a switch from Monoprice for around $43. Works great (has a remote as well).

Also an FYI, the PS3 can only pass audio over a single output

This is one of my biggest Gripes with the PS3. I always have to change from HDMI to Optical if I want to hear surround sound from my PS3. I have a 360 and I can have Audio run thru Both HDMI and Optical.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame /forum/post/15500445

I bought a 4 port HDMI 1.3a switch from Monoprice for around $43. Works great (has a remote as well).

Also an FYI, the PS3 can only pass audio over a single output

This is one of my biggest Gripes with the PS3. I always have to change from HDMI to Optical if I want to hear surround sound from my PS3. I have a 360 and I can have Audio run thru Both HDMI and Optical.

Yeah that completely annoys me too. I really wish they'd fix with this a firmware update. Sony's standalone players don't have the problem. Ugh.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsanc30 /forum/post/15500349

Also an FYI, the PS3 can only pass audio over a single output - meaning that if you use this setup you'll have to forgo audio from your display, having it only produced on the AVR - not a big deal really.

Sorry, what exactly does this mean? I use a harmony 676 remote to control all my components. How would i set up for optimal viewing/gaming?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skowser /forum/post/15507107

Sorry, what exactly does this mean? I use a harmony 676 remote to control all my components. How would i set up for optimal viewing/gaming?

It doesn't mean much for you unless you sometimes want the audio to come through just the TV and not the surrounds/AVR. As it stands right now the PS3 can't do that (although I though I read a long convoluted post here on AVS on how to trick the PS3 into doing so).

If you want to maximize you harmony and HT operations, I would suggest 2 things.

1. Either upgrade your receiver to an HDMI one - it will act as an HDMI switcher and as long as you get audio capabilities, and nowadays that shouldn't be a problem, you will get more HDMI inputs for your TV and better sound.

or

1. Get a monoprice HDMI switch IR supported and just add it to your activites. That is what I did until this year when I upgraded my receiver and TV.
The monoprice ones work great.

and..

2. Read this Thread on IR to BT converters. Remeber the PS3 operates on all BT signals. There is no IR/BT remote out there so, people have come up with IR to BT converter boxes that allow you to control the PS3 with your current IR remote. Just read the pros and the cons of each type and note the more you pay, generally the more control of the PS3 you get and the more features you get with the device.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. Thank you everyone for your input/advice!

What receiver would you recommend? I have an Onkyo TX-sr602. I don't have a ton of money to spend

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skowser /forum/post/15507944

Sounds good. Thank you everyone for your input/advice!

What receiver would you recommend? I have an Onkyo TX-sr602. I don't have a ton of money to spend

I would stick with the lower end Denon and Onkyo since you already have one. For the best advice I would head over the Amp/Receiver section of AVS. They have a ton of great info. FWIW - I have the 1909/789 Denon. Love it. (Plus I got it for 499 no tax/no shipping too when it first came out - so how could I not love it
)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame /forum/post/15500445

Do you happen to know which one? Do i need 1.3a or 1.3b and what is the difference?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts