AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up my htpc like below:

uverse RG router/modem combo ->powerline->powerline->Router->HTPC

Because I have to do router behind a router, I setup the 2nd router as a DMZ plus and made sure the 2nd router is on a different ip but I can't get the htpc to recognize any connection at all.

I tried doing this without the two powerline adaptors, configured the same as above, and I can get internet to work fine so it seems to have something to do with the powerline adaptors. I'm pretty good with computers but not terribly knowledgeable about networking.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? And for what it's worth, the powerlines work fine when I don't use the router near my htpc so I think I've eliminated the two obvious variables.

·
Registered
987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizorith /forum/post/19558291

I am trying to set up my htpc like below:

uverse RG router/modem combo ->powerline->powerline->Router->HTPC

Because I have to do router behind a router, I setup the 2nd router as a DMZ plus and made sure the 2nd router is on a different ip but I can't get the htpc to recognize any connection at all.

I tried doing this without the two powerline adaptors, configured the same as above, and I can get internet to work fine so it seems to have something to do with the powerline adaptors. I'm pretty good with computers but not terribly knowledgeable about networking.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? And for what it's worth, the powerlines work fine when I don't use the router near my htpc so I think I've eliminated the two obvious variables.

Why are you trying to use 2 routers? Ultimately you will have ip address conflicts etc. Make sure you have turned OFF the DHCP server in the second router and DO NOT CONNECT the ethernet cable to the WAN port. Connect it to one of its lan ports. Then it will work as an Access Point (if it is wireless) or a switch.

Bob Silver

Netgear

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually I would advocate running your Uverse network on one subnet (basically the RG and set top boxes/DVR), and have another router behind that that is also running a firewall, and make sure the subnets are different.

This is how I have mine setup: http://i53.tinypic.com/scb66f.jpg

As long as you do the powerline to Ethernet adapters after the RG and before the second router you should be able to do something similar.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE /forum/post/19565856

Actually I would advocate running your Uverse network on one subnet (basically the RG and set top boxes/DVR), and have another router behind that that is also running a firewall, and make sure the subnets are different.

This is how I have mine setup: http://i53.tinypic.com/scb66f.jpg

As long as you do the powerline to Ethernet adapters after the RG and before the second router you should be able to do something similar.

I have it setup as you suggested but it's not working and I think it has something to do with the powerline itself. It really doesn't make sense to me at all at this point. It goes RG->powerline->powerline->2nd router I get nothing on the 2nd router. However, if I replace that 2nd router with a computer it's fine. If I connect the RG to that second router directly it works fine. It has something to do with powerline, I just don't know what.

And to the others advocating I not use a 2nd router: I have no choice. I need wireless in the other room and it's too far for the RG to work and unfortunately, with uverse, you HAVE to use that RG/router combo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Something isn't configured right on your second/internal router.

The processor in the RG is undersized, and even their support suggests using a better wifi AP rather than using the RG. I tried to move as much off of it as possible. I had issues with the AP not accepting connections after four or five days, and a reboot would fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts