AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a triple lnb dish that is rigged to feed 4 seperate tv locations. I have an antenna and a diplexer. The antenna and dish are connected outside near the dish with a diplexer.

Question is if I wish to feed several more tv's, do I need several more diplexers and a spltter for the antenna before them or can I just put a splitter after the diplexer and forget about the four seperate feeds from the dish? What are the +/- of different ways?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Get a 5x8 multiswitch. You don't split a dish connection. The 5x8 takes the 4 lines from the dish and one from the antenna and outputs 8 diplexed signals. It's a neater solution and the money saved on splitters and diplexers will probably pay for it. If your dish has an internal 4x4 multiswitch or you don't want to bypass a 4x4 multiswitch on the back of a dish, you'll need a 5x8 cascadable external multiswitch like the Terk M58 or the Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+. If your present 4x4 multiswitch is external, you can bypass it and use any 5x8.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine is a triple head multi satellite LNB with built in multi-switch for four independent outputs... The LNB with multi switch is basically one piece and it bolts directly to a hollow LNB arm, the four wires slide inside the arm.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for just 2 or three tv's maybe I should just buy a couple more diplexers.. The terk seems kindof expensive and it has to be mounted inside doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
You do mean 2 or 3 TVs in addition to the 4 already don't you? You cannot do more than 4 with diplexers or splitters. You need a 5x8 M/S and you need to protect it from the weather. My Eagle Aspen is in the attic. You can put it in a plastic box like a Radio Shack kit box. Just put all cable entries at the bottom. Water won't run uphill too well.

See the wiring diagrams at 18inch.com and

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=238849

Edit add:

On the other hand, after a look around I've seen sites that say the Terk M58 is weatherproof and my Eagle Aspen has a sealer around the cover plate. I believe the units are actually the same and it's possible the sealed cover plate is a new addition making the old warning about weather protection moot. I still prefer keeping multiswitches out of the weather.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no sorry,

I am only using one of the original four. I have only one tv connected to the sat. Other tv's are getting limited basic cable right now.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
So the original "rigged" meant capable. Ok. You need any splitters between the antenna and the diplexers. Each TV needs to have a separate line to the dish. That would mean a 1 into 4 splitter between the antenna and 4 diplexers for 4 TVs. You don't split a DSS feed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks greywolf,

Good you told me because I was considering splitting the feed I already use. Now I know better...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.