AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to connect satellite receiver (DISH Network) to Showstopper other than Infrared Blaster.

If IR Blaster is the only way, can someone suggest where I can get it (I lost the original one which came with the Showstopper.

Thanks very much.

Hilbert.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
You'll only be able to switch via an IR Blaster.

Can't suggest any place to get them, but a quick search on Google reveals lots of places that sell IR Blasters. I'd find one that looks reputable and go with them. Looks like they sell around the $5 to $10 range. I'd go with a single blaster instead of the dual ended blasters.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

Its unfortunate there is no other way. The last time (2 years back) I tried to use IR Blaster it did not work. The damn thing did not stick properly and even when it did stick, it would not work. Does anyone use IR Blaster here? Does it work for you. Please give any tips if you have.

Thanks,

Hilbert.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
I've had the same experience with the IR blaster. However, after a couple of years of using only DirecTV receivers with the serial port, I was forced to use the IR Blaster on cable (and now with DirecTV receivers that don't have a serial port). Without even fiddling with them, I'm having really good luck with channel changes. I can't even remember the last time it missed a digit.

Not sure if you'll have the same luck with the Dish receiver, but there are a lot of things you can do to fine tune the blasters, just search the forum and the FAQ.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ace987 and Mikeboy. Is there any information out there about how to stick the IR Blaster and where to stick it on the Receiver. Last time I did it, it kept falling off. Also, I do not know how the find the spot on the receiver.

Thanks again for your replies.

· Registered
4,612 Posts
It can be hard to tell where the IR receiver is. I shine a flashlight at the front of the cable or sat box and look for a tinted plastic window. The IR receiver sits behind this window. To verify this is the correct location block that section with your hand and attempt to change channels with the remote. If the box fails to respond you found the correct spot. Now that you're sure where the window is, stick the sticky side of the IR blaster to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.