AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am having a hell of a time getting my TV to display output from my PC. I was recommended to AVSForum by a poster on Reddit, in hopes that you guys may have come across this issue before or know how I might resolve it.

I have a Sony KDL-46Z4100 TV along with an LG W2252TQ monitor. My PC has a Radeon HD 4800 video card with 2x DVI outputs (no HDMI or DisplayPort). When my LG monitor is plugged in alone, everything works as intended, but if I try to add my TV (via HDMI cable in to an HDMI-DVI adapter in to the video card), the LG immediately blacks out and displays "Out Of Range", along with a set of refresh rates similar to 90khz - 50hz or so. Still, nothing changes on the TV whatsoever - the TV still says "No signal". Unplugging the HDMI-DVI adapter from the video card does nothing, LG stays black and TV obviously doesn't change. Only way to get any display back is to power cycle the PC.

My goal is to have both TV and monitor cloned, but so far I can't get the computer to even recognize the TV, and since I can't troubleshoot the TV display with it plugged in (since it blacks out the monitor), I'm at a loss for how to proceed.

Things I've tested so far:

-DVI adapter is good - tested on a different TV with different PC

-HDMI cable is good - tested same PC & same TV with different video card (with HDMI output)

-TV PC displaying is good - tested same PC & same TV with different video card (with HDMI output)

-DVI outputs on video card are both good - tested both DVI outputs with the LG by itself, worked fine

-TV plugged in ALONE (no monitor) does NOT work, even on a clean reboot

-Booted in to Safe Mode to try, with resolution and refresh rate of monitor both set to minimums, same effect - LG blacked out, no display on TV

I am struggling with anything else to try. Has anyone come across this before?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Notes when in clone mode the resolution of the primary display is also sent to the secondary display regardless of what you have the secondary display set to.

If DVI to DVI to the TV works why do you need HDMI instead since the video signals are the same?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I can tell, it's not in any "mode" right now (meaning clone or extend display or anything) - the Displays menu (Windows 7) only ever recognizes my LG monitor, nothing else. I can't set Extend or Clone with only 1 display showing, right?

As for DVI to DVI, I don't know if that works or not, I don't have a long enough DVI cable to test. The TV is wall mounted. I'm using HDMI-DVI because I have a long enough HDMI cable, and my Radeon HD 4800 doesn't have an HDMI input, only 2x DVI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts