AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got done putting together my HTPC. I am using the following card and was wondering what the best way to connect my TV would be?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187065

I have googled my kv-36fs12 but can't find anything related to resolutions, frequencies etc. and therefore a little timid about trying something incorrect destroying my TV tube. The TV has both s-video and component inputs on the back and I have found one of those nvidia dsub breakouts for s-video, component and composite outputs. From what I have read component is better quality then s-video but this TV is not HD so would it really matter? Anyways, does anyone have experience with this TV or one very similar and could give advice on the correct connection to use and what resolutions / frequencies to use so I don't blow the tube out? Currently I am running windows 7 as I figured it easier to play around with at first but also plan on using mythbuntu if this all works.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I just got done putting together my HTPC. I am using the following card and was wondering what the best way to connect my TV would be?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187065

I have googled my kv-36fs12 but can't find anything related to resolutions, frequencies etc. and therefore a little timid about trying something incorrect destroying my TV tube. The TV has both s-video and component inputs on the back and I have found one of those nvidia dsub breakouts for s-video, component and composite outputs. From what I have read component is better quality then s-video but this TV is not HD so would it really matter? Anyways, does anyone have experience with this TV or one very similar and could give advice on the correct connection to use and what resolutions / frequencies to use so I don't blow the tube out? Currently I am running windows 7 as I figured it easier to play around with at first but also plan on using mythbuntu if this all works.

Thanks in advance!
S-video is limited to 480 resolution, I have been trying to use component video inputs with DVD and HD-Sat tuners without any success (scrambled display)

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
S-video is limited to 480 resolution, I have been trying to use component video inputs with DVD and HD-Sat tuners without any success (scrambled display)
Verify that you‘ve got the cables correctly connected. Having a scrambled display suggests that the sync signal (which is on the Y coax) is not on the correct TV input. For testing, you don’t need all three cables connected to get an image. Y by itself will provide a monochrome picture.

Edited to add:

Depending on the age of your players or tuners, the component outputs might not provide HD signals. There was a provision in AACS licensing starting in 2011 which forbade analog HD from being output from new HDMI devices. See https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00015810

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Considering the OP posted this in 2009 I don't think it mattered.
I was responding to ks480p, who asked his questions just a couple of days ago. I had considered chiding him for necroposting, but changed my mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts