AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i listen to some stations on gotradio.com when im on the comp, sorry for being ignorant, but , is there a way i could connect the sound card to my pioneer 1014? i know the comp speaker jack is much smaller, is there some sort of an adaptor? and what port would i send it to?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bueller?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok more info, i have a soundblaster live x gamer, it has a digital out jac , it says "front and rear spdif output channels for connection to external digital devices,such as dat or minidisc recorder via a digital output module (available separately) or to four point surround digital........................do i just use a mini "y" to rca? to say, cd audio input on 1014?

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
If your sound card has a digital out use that.

If not, get a mini-jack to rca right and left adapter (Radio shack has em) and run a stereo pair of rca cables to the receiver. Any unused input if fine except "phono" if you have it. Select that input on the receiver and you should be good to go.

have fun

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh you mean with the digital out i would use one wire? do they make em 30' ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i also might add that, its small on the card like the rest of the jacks, the digital in on the receiver is bigger like an rca type and it protrudes out , the jack on the card doesnt protrude .............

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Yes, soundblaster uses a smaller digital coax. You would need a mono mini jack to rca adapter.

I dont really know how long is acceptable in a digital run, but 30 feet doesnt seem TOO crazy.

You may have to enable digital out in your sound cards control panel also.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mmmmm would this mono mini to rca adaptor defeat the purpose of using digital coax? do they make digital of this type jack you speak of? if i cant find a 30' wire , would i need special digital connector?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp
mmmmm would this mono mini to rca adaptor defeat the purpose of using digital coax? do they make digital of this type jack you speak of? if i cant find a 30' wire , would i need special digital connector?
why would it defeat the purpose??

Just get the converter previously mentioned and then buy or make a 30 ft composite video cable(obviously if you make it it will all be the same).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
video cable sdiver? now im really confused...............how do you make your own cable anyways..........................heres what im not understanding, if your going to use standard rca jack and standard rca connectors between the cables, why use digital cable?......................if the standard jacks and connectors can transport a digital signal why cant a standard rca cable?

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Wasp...Coax digital IS rca cable.

The mfgs spec it at 75oHm which is the same as "video" cable. Ive run "standard" (50oHm?) rca with no problems, and seeing that you just want to pipe internet radio, I doubt you would have any problem.

The physical construction of the cables are identical. Video is usually yellow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aha thats what i was getting at , i can use the digital port of my sound card but i dont have to use digital cable, i can use plain old rca cable yes?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yep, you sure can. Preferably one with the yellow ends, a video cable. Video cables are (or should be) 75ohm, which is the same as a "digital" cable.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so the package being labled digital coax is just more money for them huh?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Radio Shack #274-897 RCA to mono mini adapter (this one is gold plated, they probably have non-gold for less $$)

Radio Shack #15-1539 cable (24-foot) if 24 is not enough, then get #15-1540 (a pair of 24-ft cables for $2 more) and a RCA to RCA coupler #274-874.

You're looking at $15-$20 for this stuff.

Personally, I have not tried digital at 48 feet with these cables, but mine works just fine with the 24-foot length. I suppose you could get one of the 24 footers, and a shorter one too. Prices will be about the same either way.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Nope, not what you need. The "Y" splitter you show is a mono cable. If you are going to use the analog ouput from the sound card you need a stereo "Y" cable. The 50-foot RCA's probably will work, but analog over these 50-ft cables may degrade some.

If you are going to use the digital output, you don't need the "Y" splitter cable - probably would work, but you don't need that type. All the digital will be carried down one cable and decoded by the receiver. Look at my parts list to see what I mean for the digital path.

To answer your question, yes, both cables would carry digital if you connect with the setup you propose, but again it is unnecessary since the digital can be carried all in one cable.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Update - I have been testing and the digital carries just fine on the #15-1540 cables hooked in series with the RCA coupler. This amounts to 48 feet, so should easily cover your distance needs.

So I think this is your parts list.

1) RS #274-897 RCA to mono mini adapter (or similar)

1) RS #15-1540 cable

1) RS #274-874 RCA coupler

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh i see, i was wondering why you didnt have a y in there, so i guess it wouldnt matter what cd audio port into rec i use , l or r ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.