AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right forum. I just received my Roku 3 device, but I can't get it to work with my set up - probably because I don't know what I am doing.

I have an older, but not ancient, receiver, a Denon AVR-3801CI. I have my DirecTV box and Denon blu ray player hooked up to it via HDMI cables so that it controls the output to the TV and my speakers; everything works as it should. (The TV, of course, is also connected to the Denon via an HDMI cable.) I thought I could just connect the Roku to the receiver as well, as opposed to connecting the Roku directly to the TV - I certainly don't want to watch movies with the only audio coming from my TV speakers and no video coding done by the Roku, but..... I connected the Roku, turned on the TV, went through all the source selections on my receiver, but nothing was displayed indicating that it was communicating with the Roku - there is supposed to be some sort of message from Roku and then you can set up your network, etc., but the TV screen display remains blank.

I did lots of searching online, but can't find any information about how to hook up the Denon and Roku - or any receiver and Roku - for that matter, and there is nothing at all about it in the minimalist user's manual that came with the Roku, other than saying that you can connect the Roku to a receiver, so I thought I would post here.

What am I missing? Is my receiver too old and it just won't work with the Roku? If anyone can help me with this, I would much appreciate it.

I thought this would be so simple; apparently, that's what I get for thinking.

Holly

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Double check your cables and connections. Maybe as a test disconnect the cable from your blu ray player and plug that into Roku since you know that cable and input work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not quite sure what I did - I did switch some cables and the Roku display showed up, switched back to the original cable and all was still well. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I didn't wait long enough for the display to show - ???

Thank you for your responses! Installation really WAS simple, after all; helps when you aren't frustrated, doesn't it?

Holly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts