AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Additionally, there are several opportunities that are present to further ensure SPHE's success. Among them are digital downloading/streaming; alternative distribution formats including MOD and flash drives; increased retail space; and portability and connectivity on any desired playback devices.
Quote:
VB: We understand that you recently began overseeing Sony Pictures’ downloading/streaming operations. How does that business fit with your packaged media business?

Bishop: While there are certainly key distinctions between digital distribution and physical media, there are also a number of similarities between both businesses. The transactional models, specifically electronic sell-through (e.g. iPod downloads) and VOD, are similar from a consumer standpoint to our traditional sell-through and rental business in that we are trying to drive consumers to buy and rent SPHE products. These transactional models behave similarly and need to be managed coherently, which is ultimately the rationale for our reorganization. We can now manage the business across all titles, optimize marketing across all formats and provide multiple delivery options for our consumers.

VB: How do you plan to maximize both physical and digital distribution? How might that be different from how you managed blockbusters from a couple of years ago?

Bishop: By utilizing both physical media and digital distribution, we’re able to offer a choice to the consumer. This choice allows them to enjoy their movie in pristine high-definition in the home, in standard-definition (for those who have yet to upgrade to high-def), or as a download for on-the-go viewing via their PC or favorite portable device. We also offer the option to purchase or rent in a variety of formats, rounding out the wide array of options we can provide today’s consumers.

In the past, we were more focused on the breakdown of how many DVD units were needed for sell-through and rental. But now, as the home entertainment spectrum has rapidly expanded, we must look at successfully fulfilling all methods of distribution. In order for the home entertainment industry to continue to grow, we must be smart and adapt to ever-changing consumer behaviors and the evolving landscape of physical and digital media.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6671823.html

· Registered
485 Posts
I'm guessing they are finally realizing that future is not one sided (physical media), which is a positive sign.

· Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozster /forum/post/16846041

I'm guessing they are finally realizing that future is not one sided (physical media), which is a positive sign.

The entire industry has been aware of that for a while. It is still a few format fanboys who seem to be in denial.

· Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/16846677

The entire industry has been aware of that for a while. It is still a few format fanboys who seem to be in denial.

I just don't understand why people are so against this. I mean those who support Blu-ray blindly.

I mean I think we are both reasonable (as I saw many of your posts) and I know you like digital delivery but appreciate Blu-ray as well.

It seems that for some people it can only be Blu-ray and nothing else. Just puzzles the mind really. I thought people would look forward to the day when we can have Blu-ray quality at our fingertips without leaving the couch and in the process do a small part of saving our planet by getting rid of plastics and chemicals that are required to produce optical media.

As you say, it's becoming increasingly obvious that plenty choices will be available for content and some will be DVD, some will Blu-ray and some will be online. When even Sony understands this, don't get this friction that keeps happening with Blu-ray followers.

My guess is that in general some people are afraid that convenience and easy of access will somehow limit or kill their Blu-ray purchases.

I mean I LOVE the fact I can get any song online and listen to it instantly. Why can't it be the same with movies?

Don't really get it.

· Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW... In case you missed this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1163652

Quote:
Sony's PlayStation 3 hasn't moved as many Blu-rays as Hollywood had hoped it would, but the videogame console has clearly established itself as a lucrative platform studios can use to distribute their films and TV shows.

A year after launching its PlayStation Network, Sony has digitally delivered more than 500 million pieces of content to owners of its PS3 console and PSP handheld device.

That includes sales and rentals of movies, TV shows and original video programming.

Altogether, the video delivery service, available through the PlayStation Store, has registered more than 25 million users since launching on July 15, 2008. It saw a surge of subscribers around E3 in June.

The PlayStation Network initially bowed with 300 movies and 1,200 TV episodes. At the time, it had signed up most of the major studios, including Sony, Warner Bros., Fox, Disney, Paramount, MGM and Lionsgate.

It now has all of the majors onboard and boasts more than 2,000 movies and over 10,200 TV show episodes, both new releases and library fare, from 38 different content partners. An estimated 35% of the movies on the network are in HD.

The numbers are notable at a time when studios are keen on creating ways to generate revenues from homevideo now that DVDs have reached their earnings peak.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006112.html

· Registered
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozster /forum/post/16846871

It seems that for some people it can only be Blu-ray and nothing else.

Well not everyone is that impressed with current video download services which for the most part offer lower quality video/audio, no interactivity, no extras, and limited ownership rights. I don't mind having limited ownership rights when it comes to renting or streaming (since it is only for a limited time) but when it comes to buying video online I want to have the same ownership rights as when I buy a Blu-ray disc. I also consider long term ownership important and how many of the copy protection systems used by video download systems today will be playable on computers 20 years from now? To me $15 to buy a HD movie online is a horrible deal when I can get the Blu-ray for $20 to $30.

· Registered
7,700 Posts

Quote:
A year after launching its PlayStation Network, Sony has digitally delivered more than 500 million pieces of content to owners of its PS3 console and PSP handheld device.

That includes sales and rentals of movies, TV shows and original video programming.

It *includes* purchased content, but it doesn't state that the 500 million pieces of content doesn't also include free movie and game trailers and other free E3 related content. In my case, the first time I even downloaded any video content from the PSN was to get the free game trailers and demos that came out the week of E3. (I wanted to show my GF what to get me for my b-day and xmas
)

· Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think subscription and rental are the sweet spot for Digital Distribution right now.

The home storage and archiving areas need to be developed for mass market, as well as some fundamental shifts in DRM for the download-to-own market explodes. As physical media wanes, there will be additional pressure for the studios to make this happen.

The core technology for storage and streaming is there. Some usability issues need to be addressed as well as having systems open enough to scale storage for multiple terabytes worth of home media storage.

· Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/16853767

I also consider long term ownership important and how many of the copy protection systems used by video download systems today will be playable on computers 20 years from now?

Twenty years from now, will it really be an issue? Don't you think that the video standards at that time will make today's videos look and sound quaint in comparison? The same problems could be applied to physical media. Sure, there are still VHS tapes and players out there, but who's watching them? Would you actually even want to watch them, if you owned them, if the same content were available on DVD or BD?

Scott

· Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/16856661

I think subscription and rental are the sweet spot for Digital Distribution right now.

Agreed. As time goes on, the market will be less and less interested in owning media, and more accustomed to the idea of a gigantic library available, covering almost any interest. There may still be a market for owned content, but that will become niche over time.

Scott

· Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/16858880

Twenty years from now, will it really be an issue? Don't you think that the video standards at that time will make today's videos look and sound quaint in comparison? The same problems could be applied to physical media. Sure, there are still VHS tapes and players out there, but who's watching them? Would you actually even want to watch them, if you owned them, if the same content were available on DVD or BD?

Scott

....So I realized that some of my cds are 20 years old and they sound much better than any mp3 I've heard lately
So what happened there?

Vhs and dvd are great on small screens. Since screen sizes in the home are maxed out at 60" or 70", do you need much more than 1080p that bd delivers? Sound is at 7.1, do you envision any more speakers in a room?

If I thought i'd have a 200"+ screen, sure.

· Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/16858897

Agreed. As time goes on, the market will be less and less interested in owning media, and more accustomed to the idea of a gigantic library available, covering almost any interest. There may still be a market for owned content, but that will become niche over time.

Scott

Fact is, people love to own stuff. They collect stamps, coins, knifes, empty beer cans, match book covers, records, tapes, you name it, people collect it. In fact they have been collecting and owning stuff since they could stand upright, walk and have free hands to hold their stuff. Later they built houses to have a place to put all the stuff they collected.

You apparently don't understand people very well when it comes to collectors.

· Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/16859017

Fact is, people love to own stuff. They collect stamps, coins, knifes, empty beer cans, match book covers, records, tapes, you name it, people collect it. In fact they have been collecting and owning stuff since they could stand upright, walk and have free hands to hold their stuff. Later they built houses to have a place to put all the stuff they collected.

Stop ripping off George Carlin!

Ask anyone with an iPod (who downloads off of iTunes) if they think they have a music collection. Pssttt... The answer is "Yes".

I understand the allure of physical media, but times change... I remember people lamenting the small form factor of CD cases compared to the LP cover back in the day. Delivery methods change, and so does the list of things to be nostalgic about.

· Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/16858966

....So I realized that some of my cds are 20 years old and they sound much better than any mp3 I've heard lately
So what happened there?

People sacrificed quality for quantity, convenience, and price. Video quality seems to be more important for the public. Notice the deaths of VCD, and UMD. On the other hand, DVD-A and SACD never caught on.

What home video source from 20 years ago looks as good as BD does today?

Quote:

Vhs and dvd are great on small screens. Since screen sizes in the home are maxed out at 60" or 70", do you need much more than 1080p that bd delivers? Sound is at 7.1, do you envision any more speakers in a room?

You must not know anyone with a projector set up. Who's to say that 70" is a practical limit? In 20 years, one can easily imagine displays the size of a wall.

There are other factors involved beside image size, such as color depth and 3D, which consumers can look forward to.

As far as surround sound goes, I remember reading that 13.2 was a magical number for sound reproduction, and recently 10.2, so yes, there is improvement there as well.

We're talking about 20 years from now. There are lots of things that can change in that time, some of which are far from even being invented, or even imagined at this time.

But hey, if BD is good enough for you in 20 years, stick with it.

Scott

· Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/16859017

No doubt, there will still be people that want to collect movies in physical form. I'm not saying that the market will disappear, just become smaller and smaller. Kind of like how younger generations are quite happy with their digital music libraries, and have little interest in buying CDs.

The move to digital is changing people's perspective on the importance of ownership. Combine that with how quickly standards are changing, and it starts to make economic sense to rent the latest rather than being stuck with the older versions. Rentals are increasing, while purchases are falling.

Scott

· Registered
4,728 Posts
There were many great points made from both sides of this debate and as usual I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Personally I wouldnt say im a BR fanboy (despite how much BR crap I own) and I look forward to VOD services in the future. But I also agree that as of this point there isnt anything providing equal video/audio quality and content that matches what I can get on BR. When this can be accomplished I would think I would use VOD for rentals basis but not to own, there is no resale value in VOD purchases besides as already stated the need for people to actually have a disc to put in there hands.

· Registered
4,728 Posts

Quote:

.Since screen sizes in the home are maxed out at 60" or 70", do you need much more than 1080p that bd delivers? Sound is at 7.1, do you envision any more speakers in a room?

If I thought i'd have a 200"+ screen, sure.

Wow that seems so blue tinted...

01) I already have a 110" screen in my house so I hardly think 60" is max

02) Who wouldnt want better quality if it was available

03) Sure I would put more speakers in if they actually offered & supported it

Cmon now I enjoy br because it is the best quality available at this time but who here would turn down anything that provided even better quality?

· Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/16859281

No doubt, there will still be people that want to collect movies in physical form. I'm not saying that the market will disappear, just become smaller and smaller. Kind of like how younger generations are quite happy with their digital music libraries, and have little interest in buying CDs.

The move to digital is changing people's perspective on the importance of ownership. Combine that with how quickly standards are changing, and it starts to make economic sense to rent the latest rather than being stuck with the older versions. Rentals are increasing, while purchases are falling.

Scott

A digital library on an ipod is ownership. Hello. The method of collection is different but it is still collecting. The content belongs to your personal library and is backed up from the the ipod to itunes. An ipod is nothing more than a house for your "digital stuff".

People favor digital from itunes for financial reasons as well as ease of purchase and mostly because you are not forced to buy 12 tracks when all you like/want is one. This can't be related to movies although it can apply to tv series.

By the way, dvd and cds are digital and the digital train left the station with cds back in the late 80s. Ownership of physical media soared since then.

Renting always increases in economic hard times.

· Registered
4,728 Posts
I think the largest difference is a collector of "physical items" has the ability to resell those items.

· Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16860698

Wow that seems so blue tinted...

01) I already have a 110" screen in my house so I hardly think 60" is max

02) Who wouldnt want better quality if it was available

03) Sure I would put more speakers in if they actually offered & supported it

Cmon now I enjoy br because it is the best quality available at this time but who here would turn down anything that provided even better quality?

1) I can also do a 110" screen but its practicality and ease of use is limited.

Hey, are you not the AV geek in your house? It's ok to admit it, it's not a bad thing.

2) I would not turn down better quality...are you kidding, however, were looking at several years before that happens.

3) At 7.1, the sound field is pretty full. Larger rooms would require better coverage. I'm also not saying that 9.1 won't exist at some point but again its practicality is limited.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.