AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 year old CRT video projector that I'm looking to replace. Is there any benefit to getting a WXGA (1280 x 720) projector if it is going to be connected to the video inputs by a composite video cable?

The composite cable (with BNC connectors) was installed when the house was built and cannot be replaced without ripping out much of the ceiling.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
well you wont be able to send an HD signal to the projector through composite. The projector will upscale a 480i signal to 720p to remove some screen door effect, but thats about it.

Why not just buy a new dvd player and put it next to the projector and conenct it with dvi?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
The composite cable (with BNC connectors) was installed when the house was built and cannot be replaced without ripping out much of the ceiling.
Are you sure you don't mean Component? Are there 5 BNC going to your CRT? (Red, Green, Blue, H & V sync)

If so you can get adapters to change the red, green and blue BNC's into RCA jacks for Component sources. Just leave the H&V hanging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose
Are you sure you don't mean Component? Are there 5 BNC going to your CRT? (Red, Green, Blue, H & V sync)
No, there is a single composite cable.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Oh well... you are out of luck. Any chance that you could tie off a new cable of choice to one end of the composite cable and pull it through the ceiling?

Might save you from tearing it apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cable was installed when the house was built and I don't think they left enough room to do this. I don't want to risk losing the cable in the ceiling.

I might have to wait until HD signals can be transmitted by wifi.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Why not just get some conduit and run the component and what ever other cables you need up the wall and across

the ceiling.

You can find conduit in all kind of shapes, colors etc. If I didn't want to cut into the ceiling I'd go that route instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.