AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up front I'm sorry for my ignorance! I have a Toshiba 46rv535u LCD

Onkyo tx-sr504 receiver and im looking for a good standard HD DVD player. Direct T.V. satellite is coming next weekend. The onkyo has no HDMI what is the best way to hook this up? Can I use the HDMI for the satellite, and DVD to the LCD and run RCA cables for the audio hook ups? I have been told that the only way is to hook up component and composite through the receiver. I would like to take advantage of the 1080p capabilities of the LCD and New DVD if possible. ? Any idea short of purchasing a new receiver.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You connect the video output of the blu ray (there is no HD DVD) to the tv with an HDMI cable. Then you connect an optical cable from the blu ray straight into your receiver. Turn off the tv sound. Select the optical input on your receiver and you are good to go.

You should do the same thing with your HD sat box...HDMI into tv, optical straight from the sat box into your receiver for sound. That way you will get surround from the sat box.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Yes, just be sure your receiver has two optical inputs, or one optical and one digital coax, either works fine for 5.1 sound. If not, you may need an optical input switch.

And I'm sure you know, but just in case, be sure that the sat service you are getting is HD service and not just plain digital. You need the HD sat box for HD tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts