AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go out and buy a new antenna to watch HD broadcasts from ABC, NBC, etc., I was wondering if someone could answer a question. I've got the hookup figured out up until I get to the IRD (DTC-100). I use the Sat. C LNB with my DirecTv service to watch 199, 509 & 543. This is connected to input 3 of my Pioneer HD-610 and the video connection is SVGA. (D-Sub15 connector). Input 1 of the HD-610 is reserved for non-HD / Tivo viewing.

Of course, I want to watch the Superbowl in HDTV (well, almost HDTV at 720p).

When I break off a connection for the "ANT. A in" on the back of the DTC-100, will the "Out to TV" provide a HD signal if I connect it to the ANT. A input on the back of my HD-610?

More concisely, is there a way to connect two HD sources with the hardware I currently own?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I may not be following your questions very well.

If you are asking whether you can have 2 simultaneous outputs from your DTC-100, the answer varies by whether you have HD on or HD off.

With HD on (on the DTC-100), the ONLY available output is the RGB D-sub15 connector. All of the other video outputs are disabled when HD is on.

With HD off, all of the video outputs (including the RF out) EXCEPT the RGB provide video.

You can watch any analog or digital programs whether HD is on or off.

With HD on, non-HD programs are upconverted to 540p and output to via RGB.

With HD off, HD programs are down-converted to 480i and letterboxed and output on everything except RGB.

Hope this helps. If not, explain what you are trying to do again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understood what you wrote and I think you answered my question.

Here is what I'm trying to do with more detail. I have a triple LNB oval satellite dish. With a multiswitch I plan on aggregating the signals and adding an OTA antenna to pick up more HD programming. My confusion was regarding how the signal was passed inside the DTC100.

I think I understand that with the HD on, a channel tuned OTA will pass through input 3, which is the HD connection to the RPTV. I thought the OTA connection needed a separate input to the RPTV, but I think it will just use the D-Sub 15 if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Dave Jensen

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drjensen1
720p & 1080i = HDTV High Definition TV

480p = EDTV Enhanced Digital TV

480i = SDTV Standard Digital TV

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:

[/b]

720p HDTV should provide the best sports PQ, especially on the 2nd Generation DLP sets at native resolution.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Quote:

Here is what I'm trying to do with more detail. I have a triple LNB oval satellite dish. With a multiswitch I plan on aggregating the signals and adding an OTA antenna to pick up more HD programming. My confusion was regarding how the signal was passed inside the DTC100.

I think I understand that with the HD on, a channel tuned OTA will pass through input 3, which is the HD connection to the RPTV. I thought the OTA connection needed a separate input to the RPTV, but I think it will just use the D-Sub 15 if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Dave Jensen
Sounds like you're okay. All you need is the RGB connection between the DTC-100 and your RPTV. You can watch anything coming in on Satellite, Antenna A or Antenna B.

Is your OTA antenna feeding into your multiswitch, e.g., a 5x4 or 5x8 multiswitch, with 4 satellite LNB inputs and 1 OTA antenna input? If so, you need a diplexer before your DTC-100 to separate the satellite signals (for the DTC-100 Satellite input) from the OTA signals (for input to Ant. A or B on the DTC-100).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about my technical goof on 720p not being HDTV. Of the 3 HD channels I currently receive thru DirecTv, HDNet nad HBO look a lot better than Showtime. Could be something else besides the format though. After reading more on this forum, I guess 1080i & 720p have thier merits.

I am connecting 3 LNB's + an OTA antenna to the multiswitch inputs. I plan on diplexing Sat A and Sat B before the multiswitch. Sat C and the antenna will be input 2 and 3. Before the IRD, I will diplex the input for the OTA antenna. Is there a better way to do it?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I am connecting 3 LNB's + an OTA antenna to the multiswitch inputs. I plan on diplexing Sat A and Sat B before the multiswitch. Sat C and the antenna will be input 2 and 3.
You can't "diplex" sat-a and sat-b. The Sat-A LNB (pointed at 101) is connected directly to the switch. One side of Sat-B is connected to the 13V input of the switch. Sat-C and the other side of Sat-B is connected to the 18V input of the switch. The antenna connect to the antenna input of the switch. There is no other correct way with a 5 input multi-switch. If you using a 4 input switch, you should combine the sat signal and OTA signal after the switch using a diplexor.

Quote:
Before the IRD, I will diplex the input for the OTA antenna.
Are you saying that you will use a diplexor to split the OTA singal and the satellite signal into two separate feeds? That will work. I'm not familiar with the DTC-100 but my Hughes E-86 has a built in diplexor. I just connect my the cable into the satellite input and it does the signal splitting internally.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Sorry about my technical goof on 720p not being HDTV. Of the 3 HD channels I currently receive thru DirecTv, HDNet nad HBO look a lot better than Showtime. Could be something else besides the format though. After reading more on this forum, I guess 1080i & 720p have thier merits.

I am connecting 3 LNB's + an OTA antenna to the multiswitch inputs. I plan on diplexing Sat A and Sat B before the multiswitch. Sat C and the antenna will be input 2 and 3. Before the IRD, I will diplex the input for the OTA antenna. Is there a better way to do it?
I am not sure what you mean by "diplexing Sat A and Sat B before the multiswitch" but taken literally, that will not work.

I assume you do NOT have the newer integrated 3 LNB 20" dish with the multiswitch built inside the arm.

If you are inputting the OTA antenna to the mulitiswitch (which dilpexes the OTA to all outputs) then you MUST have a multiswitch with 5 inputs - 2 for SAT A, 2 for Sat B & C (using a separate Sat B/C Combiner) and one for the antenna. Every MS input is labeled and each must be connected as labeled.

The LNB for Sat C (110, center mounted) is a special one with a single output that goes to the Sat C input on the Combiner. One of the Sat B LNB (119, east-most mounted) outputs goes to the Sat B input on the Combiner. The ouptut of the Combiner MUST go to input "Sat B, 18 v" on the multiswitch. The other Sat B LNB output MUST go to input "Sat B, 13 v" on the multiswitch. Both Sat A LNB (101, west-most mounted) outputs go to the Sat A inputs on the multiswitch.

I hope this is not redundant information for you. I was just concerned when you mentioned diplexing A & B satellite LNBs before the multiswitch which is a definite no-no. It sounds like maybe you have a 3 input multiswitch (for 1 LNB + antenna) instead of a 5 input multiswitch (for 2 LNBs + antenna, or 3 LNBs using a Sat C Combiner kit).

Search for user feldon23 in the avs forum or tivo community forum to find connection diagrams.

[edited to correct 13v/18v Sat B inputs]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I crawled up on my roof to see what I actually have in terms of receiving equipment. I have an 18 x 20 dish with 3 LNBs. The dish has a built-in 4x4 multi-switch. I have 2 coax leads coming out of the dish for my 2 TVs. I am going to get a 2 x 4 multi-switch and cascade it. It's about 15 feet to one IRD and 30 feet to the other. I'll then run one more coax line to my main TV, since I am getting the Hughes HDVR2 dual-tuner DirecTivo. Does anyone see any problems with this arrangement?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The DTC-100 MUST be connected directly to the built-in 4x4 multiswitch on the dish. It can NOT be connected through a 2x4 multiswitch because you will lose the 110 and 119 satellites carrying the HD channels, which cannot be accessed through a 2x4 multiswitch.

So it looks like, no matter what, you are going to need at least 3 coax runs down from the integrated 4x4 multiswitch: 1 for the DTC-100 and 2 for the DirecTiVo or the 2x4 multiswitch if you still use it.

If I were you right now, I would add 2 more coax feeds from the dish 4x4 MS (for a total of 4). If the OTA antenna is located nearby, you could add a diplexer on the roof between the 4x4 MS output and the coax that feeds the DTC-100 to combine the antenna signal with the satellite signal. Then inside the house you add another diplxer to separate the satellite and antenna signals for their respective inputs on the DTC-100. The DTC-100 does not have a built-in diplexer like some other HD STBs do. OR, you could just run a separate coax from the OTA antenna directly to an antenna input on the DTC-100 and avoid the diplexers.

The only way I know to avoid having 3 or 4 coax would be to use stacker and destacker equipment, one at the dish and one at the DirecTiVo or 2x4 MS. I'm not sure, but I think the stacker/destacker combination also blocks access to the 110 and 119 satellites like the 2x4 MS would. Someone correct me here if I am wrong. The stacker/destacker equipment may cost more than the installation of the 2 new coax feeds. Again, the DTC-100 would have to be connected directly to the 4x4 integrated MS (or through the diplxers if you use them).

Sorry there is not an easier way for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a full day of running coax and mounting a new antenna, I am close to where I wanted to be. The new 18x20 directv dishes are sweet. There were 2 open outputs on the built-in 4x4 multiswitch. After positioning 2 new goundblocks near the ground block installed by DTV, I ran 2 more coax leads into the house; A second one for my dual tuner DirecTivo and one for my high-def receiver. I now have 4 coax cables going to my main home theater system. 2 x Tivo, HD receiver, and OTA antenna. Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I think you picked the best solution. I assume everything is now working the way you want it to.

Congratulations!! You'll love having the flexibility of 2 tuners on your DirecTiVo unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya. I'll probably be close to where I want to be for the rest of my natural life. I'm a tweaker.

Dual tuner directivo is the best thing I've ever done. (In terms of PVRs). Anyone considering a SA Tivo should be shaken furiously and beaten around the head.

Hell they should put 6 or 8 tuners in there!!

Thanks again for all the help.

Next up...wireless :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.