AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Don Berg and others for all your advice thus far. It has been a big help to me. Now that I have decided on a monitor, I would appreciate a clarification on how to coonect my video sources to a Pioneer 433 CMX, with Pio 5002 card.

I will have two component video sources: A progressive scan DVD player, plus an SA3100HD box supplied by Cox Cable. I have a Marantz AV-9000 preamp that can pass through a 1080i signal. It has two RCA component inputs and one RCA component output. I believe that I will need to convert the RCA out cables to a BNC and/or DVI on the other end. My questions:

1.) If I connect both the DVD and the cable box to the Marantz AV-9000 and then use one component out cable for both, which input on the 433CMX monitor or 5002 card do I use to get both HDTV and DVD signals to appear on the monitor? Will the adapters that are required reduce the PQ?

2.) Is the connection scenario described above the best solution? Would it be smarter to connect the DVD to the Marantz (and the Marantz to the BNC inputs on the 433CMX,) then separately connect the cable box directly to the DVI/RGB input on the 5002?

3.) If neither of these ideas make sense, is there a better way?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
1) Connect to the video 2 input via 3 BNC-RCA adaptors available at Radio shack or Frys. Or get a component video cable with BNC's on one end and RCA's on the other end.

2) Only if your A/V receiver doesn't have high bandwidth component video switcher, rated at 37Mhz or higher. The video 1 input on the panel is a VGA/DB15 connector but it can be setup as a second component video input if you get a VGA to BNC breakout cable from a computer store. Both video1 and video2 inputs have to be configured in the plasma's setup menu for component instead of RGB input too.

3) Those are the two methods.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

Thanks for the reply. If I use option 1, and connect to Video Input 2 on the monitor, why do I need the 5002 card? The picture of it shows that the inputs are Video 3, 4 & 5. I thought that the card is needed to make the 433 CMX compatible with High Def.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm not familiar with that plasma, but from what you say I'm guessing it has VGA or DVI, and that your STB has VGA or DVI outputs? Then just connect those to your TV, and leave component for the DVD. It'll save you the switching worries and you'll only need two cables instead of three.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zambaretzu,

My STB has RCA component out. The display has BNC and RGB inputs that can be set up as component. I would need adapters for conversion from RCA.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The Pioneer plasma requires the 5002 card to get component video support. The connectors on the panel, but the electronics on the card is needed for them to be used. With the 5002 or similar card, the panel only supports the VGA input in PC/RGB mode only - good only as a computer monitor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an HTPC that contains an ATI Radeon 7500 video card w/ DVI out and am interested in knowing how digitally capatible my system would be if mated with the Pioneer PDP-503CMX (or 403CMX) plasma display & PDA-5002 video board.

Clearly I would expect for the 5002's DVI input to accept all standard PC signals (i.e. VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA), since that's what the 503CMX was originally designed to do.

What I really want to know is if the 5002's DVI input can also accept all standard HD signals (i.e. 720p, 1080i); or is HD compatibility only achievable through the Mini D-sub (15-pin) and BNC analog inputs?

I want to ensure that the 5002's DVI input can accept DVI output from the latest HDTV statellite receivers (i.e. Sony SAT-HD200, Samsung SIR-TS160, Zenith HD-SAT520, etc.). Note: I am aware that the 5002 is *not* compliant with HDCP; but since the HDCP flag is currently not enabled, I am not concerned about it.

Also, I'd like the ability to feed a variety of NTSC (interlaced 480i) signals into the Holo3dGraph video processor card in my HTPC and then send a deinterlaced/scaled output to the 5002's DVI-in (via the Radeon's DVI-out).

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed,

Thomas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.