AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on hooking up satellite receiver, vcr & dvd player to either the Pioneer 45 or the Denon 3803. What I want to accomplish is:

I want the vcr to be able to record from the dvd, local broadcasts and the satellite. I know this would be simple by running everything through the receiver, but the vcr is only composite not s-video capable. The dvd and satellite are s-video capable, but the Pioneer unit does not have the conversion feature. I have see products that supposedly convert composite to s-video, but I don't know how effective they are. I also want to be able to view local channels without having to turn on the receiver, but if I want to be able to have the sound going through the receiver.

Does the 45 have enough inputs for future upgrades? I would like to add an hdtv stb, when it becomes feasible, and possibly a dvd recorder. Will the Pioneer unit have enough inputs? I know that the Denon unit has ample.

Please keep in mind that this whole ht setup needs to be as "wife" friendly as possible. In other words, if she wants to use the tv,vcr or the dvd, it needs to be able to work just as it does now, since it is hooked directly to the tv.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Quote:
I also want to be able to view local channels without having to turn on the receiver, but if I want to be able to have the sound going through the receiver.
I do this now on the 45 TX 'cause I don't want the sound going thru the receiver for regular broadcasts hardly at all. On my cable box, I take the normal left right audio out to the TV. I also take the bitstream out of the cable box to the 45. This works when there is a bitstream signal (which is not all the time). Another way would be to split the left right out of the cable box with a Rat Shack splitter and take the left right audio out to both the TV and the recevier.

BTW: Nothing is simple enough for technically challenged women. My wife complains all the time.

You have me curious on the VCR thing - I've never tried it. I haven't yet set mine up to record as I'm also looking at TIVo or a DVD recorder.

Mike

·
Registered
597 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------

I want the vcr to be able to record from the dvd, local broadcasts and the satellite.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Most VCRs will not record from DVD players becuase of "Macrovision", so this might be a moot point.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I vote get rid of the VCR. If you want to record DVD's get a DVD-R or DVD+R drive in a computer and record the DVD's to a DVD. I never had a hifi-VCR. I limped along with prologic TV and a handful of laserdics and a mono-VCR until I purchased a DVD player. I now have a moderate collection (~200 DVD's). I haven't played a VCR tape in years.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vcr will be discarded ......... in due time, but first things first. So for now, I am looking for ways to hook up the system that I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.