AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A newb here, though I've lurked for a few years. We are working on putting together a semi-new system for our very challenging 15x20 family room that is about to get a facelift. The room rests on a slab so all wiring will be going through finished walls or up through the attic. We'll figure all that out, but my main concern right now is getting everything wired correctly and getting the right cables. The goal is a nice-sounding 5.1 system not only for TV & movies but also for music.

Our existing system:
Marantz SR5400 Surround Receiver (non-HDMI). I have owned it about 4 years, I like the 5400 a lot, our budget at the moment doesn't allow for an upgrade to an HDMI-equipped receiver. So for now I am going to make do by building around it;
Dynaudio Audience 42 - My wife dictated no big speakers in the front, so I opted for these 4-ohm big-sounding small speakers;

Other speakers: BassCube 10S (semi) Subwoofer - Not bad, will eventually upgrade; C.S. Center Channel Plus - Will do for now;
Polk RC80i - In-ceilings for rear surround, just purchased still in the box;
Panasonic TH-50PX80U - Delivered about 3 weeks ago, still in the box;

Sci-Atlanta Explorer 4250HD Cable Box - with one HDMI out,

BluRay - I am about to get a Panny DMP-BD55K. We'll also be connecting an Xbox 360. I'll probably be using Blue Jean or monoprice cables.

The AV connection recommendations on page 37 of the 50PX manual don't appear to be optimal for sound, if what I've read here on AVS forums is correct. The Panny manual recommends connecting the TV's Digital Audio Out to the receiver's Optical In. However I've seen it recommended elsewhere that such an arrangement is not the way to go, that its best to connect the Digital Audio Out from the Cable Box to the receiver. Should there be any Audio outputs from the TV going to the SR5400? Also, should I forgo connecting any video cables at all to the Marantz? As for the BluRay should I also connect it to the Marantz via Digital Optical or from the BD55's 5.1 audio outs to the Marantz' 6.1 channel input?

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
Run your cable box audio direct to the receiver, not through the TV.

Optical audio from the BD55 will give you great audio, but not lossless. Analog audio from the player to your receiver will give you lossless. I have my BD55 hooked up both ways and there isn't much difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Islander, so on paper at least analog is superior but you hedge your bet and use both at the same time. thanks

·
Registered
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZerria /forum/post/15494417

Thanks Islander, so on paper at least analog is superior but you hedge your bet and use both at the same time. thanks

It's really not a hedge.

I use digital for lossy tracks on DVDs in order to take advantage of the better audio processing tools in my receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts