AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up my new Samsung HLP5063W to my new DVD player and home theater system. Works great. We love it.

However, the cable guy (Bright House) came out today to change the cable box to the HDTV box and hook it up.

I requested the DVI since I understand that is my best option. His DVI cable wouldn't work. He said the cable wires inside the house are too old and they are coming to replace them on Friday.

This is what he has hooked up and I want to know if it's right:

Regular cable from the cable box to the Antena in on the TV

Component cables from the Cable box to the TV

red/white audio cables from the cable box to the TV

I have: digital optical from cable box to receiver

Component cables from DVD to TV

Coaxial from DVD to receiver

He said that I need all the cables to the TV that he hooked up because burn in is still a major problem on all TVs even though it's the DPL and I thought that it wasn't. We have to use the TV remote to watch regular cable and the Cable remote to watch HDTV.

I thought all I would need was a DVI cable from the cable box to the TV, not everything else. He said the reason teh DVI wont' work might be the poor signal from the old cables. He left it so when they are replaced, I can try the DVI again. If I have the DVI attached, do I need all these other cables too?

Thanks for ANY help. Deb

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the connections he made but they should not all be necessary. Many people like to use the internal tuner for analod SD material since it often does a better job then HD STBs do for this type of material. His comment about the cable in your place being too old is bogus. It might be old...and certainly let them upgrade it...but it should have no impact on using a DVI cable of not. Once the signal gets into the STB you should have all the connections available and working. There is also no reason why you can watch all channels (digital/HD and analog SD) through the STB if you prefer. Is the DVI and HDMI? and does your TV have an HDMI inut of standard DVI?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Man, sounds like you got a clueless tech, if the signal was weak to your cable box, the component outputs wouldn't be working either. You just need the DVI or component to your TV and the optical out to your receiver to make it all work. I'd say the box has a deactivated or bad DVI out if it wouldn't work for you.

And no DLP's can't get burned in, only phosphor based TV's (CRT's and plasma's) can suffer from burn in.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
First of all, DLPs do not suffer from burn-in, so he does not know what he is talking about. You don't need the regular coax cable going from the box to the antenna input on the DLP. You can simply watch non-HD channels through the component or DVI cable from the box. However, non-HD channels may look better if you bypass the box entirely (ie, add a splitter to the cable coming out of the wall, so that one coax goes to the box and the other to the Antenna input). Again, this may give you a better picture for non-HD channels, but also means you will have to use the TV remote for them. I suspect the DVI cable did not work because the DVI output from the box may not be activated (it's not activated in my area, according to Comcast). Lastly, you may want to consider using the HDMI connection of the DLP for an upscaling DVD player.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling not all of them were necessary. When he hooked the DVI cable up, a message came on the screen saying that the DVI was not compatible and the component cables needed to be used instead.

He actually does have a splitter AND an amplifier on the cable coming from the wall AND he bypassed my good surge protector that I had hooked up. I guess I'll wait for the guy on Friday to come out and see what he does. I've got so many cables behind the TV now that it's ridiculous. If I watch regular cable with just the component cables hooked up, about 15 channels are really snowy and you can't watch it. All the rest are fine. But also the HDTV channels are slow to come in and freeze up at times just for a second.

Deb

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brandylucy
He said the cable wires inside the house are too old and they are coming to replace them on Friday.

Did he give you any kind of price quote? They are responsible for the cable getting to the house, then from the wall jack to the tv. They almost always will throw in splitters for free, but internal wiring replacement will cost you. I would really push them to see if they can't boost the signal before they have to start replacing cable.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
If I watch regular cable with just the component cables hooked up, about 15 channels are really snowy and you can't watch it. All the rest are fine. But also the HDTV channels are slow to come in and freeze up at times just for a second.

That would be a sign of a weak signal...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are replacing the inside wires at no cost to me. The house is only 15 yrs old but he did show me that the old cable is much smaller than the new cable. We'll see.

Deb

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mjones73
If I watch regular cable with just the component cables hooked up, about 15 channels are really snowy and you can't watch it. All the rest are fine. But also the HDTV channels are slow to come in and freeze up at times just for a second.

That would be a sign of a weak signal...
How many times is the signal split before reaching your outlet? The number of splits and the type of splitters make a difference; I had to replace a splitter (with one by Monster) and this made a dramatic difference. Also, cable surge protectors can weaken a signal too much as well - I replaced mine with one from AR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The line is split twice before it reaches the cable box or TV. I believe he said one was an amplifier. The surge protector I got from Radio Shack. He said it was a good one and wouldn't weaken the signal. I asked him specifically, but he is a salesman. It's got cable hook-ups and 6 outlets.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Snowy pics=bad splitter, bad cable(leading to to ingress on line), low signal.

It's techs like this guy that I can't stand working with,,, puts amp behind tv boosting already bad signal (garbage in-garbage out) instead of installing it correctly at point cable first enters house to help all tvs. Only time this would possibly be tolerated is if you're in large apt. complex & this is where line first comes into unit.

Prior posts correct about if comp. wires working from box then DVI should also, if you got message on screen something about copyright protection or something to that then DVI isn't going to work regardless of the rest of your coaxial wiring in house(that's basically firmware issues in box not compatible with certain tv's, keep your fingers crossed on getting that working).

As for the surge protector, leave hookup the way it is now, hook up surge protector after you know everything is working correctly. Have had various problems with surge protectors in the past (some cause ingress(lines in pics), some don't let cable boxes 'talk back' to cable system), but many will work fine. Cable co. will probably charge you service call fee if they come out to fix problem caused be one.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
They are replacing the inside wires at no cost to me. The house is only 15 yrs old but he did show me that the old cable is much smaller than the new cable. We'll see.

Deb
Interesting. Keep your fingers crossed in any event.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
The line is split twice before it reaches the cable box or TV. I believe he said one was an amplifier. The surge protector I got from Radio Shack. He said it was a good one and wouldn't weaken the signal. I asked him specifically, but he is a salesman. It's got cable hook-ups and 6 outlets.
Is it possible for you to hook things up without the splitters, just to see if things work? Is it a total of two splitters from the point the line enters the house or from your wall outlet to the TV?

·
Registered
103 Posts
All of the audio connections you describe seem reasonable; the DVI output of the STB does not carry the audio signal so separate audio cables are needed whether you use DVI or component outputs. Optical connection between STB and receiver is as good as it gets. I assume that your dvd player doesn't have an optical output, or that your receiver only has one optical input, otherwise, an optical connection from the dvd palyer to the receiver would also be preferable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Allez
Is it possible for you to hook things up without the splitters, just to see if things work? Is it a total of two splitters from the point the line enters the house or from your wall outlet to the TV?
There are two splitters from the wall outlet to the TV. We have three TVs in the house, 2 are just regular cable and this one is the HDTV with the box and everything.

I'm going to try to connect it without the splitters and see what happens.

Thanks for all the good input from everyone.

Deb

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jonwww
Snowy pics=bad splitter, bad cable(leading to to ingress on line), low signal.

It's techs like this guy that I can't stand working with,,, puts amp behind tv boosting already bad signal (garbage in-garbage out) instead of installing it correctly at point cable first enters house to help all tvs. Only time this would possibly be tolerated is if you're in large apt. complex & this is where line first comes into unit.

Prior posts correct about if comp. wires working from box then DVI should also, if you got message on screen something about copyright protection or something to that then DVI isn't going to work regardless of the rest of your coaxial wiring in house(that's basically firmware issues in box not compatible with certain tv's, keep your fingers crossed on getting that working).

As for the surge protector, leave hookup the way it is now, hook up surge protector after you know everything is working correctly. Have had various problems with surge protectors in the past (some cause ingress(lines in pics), some don't let cable boxes 'talk back' to cable system), but many will work fine. Cable co. will probably charge you service call fee if they come out to fix problem caused be one.
I'm not sure I agree here. I had to have an amp installed in the Attic where it belongs. However, I have the booster piece behind my tv at the point of connection because it needs power. The unit they uses has a power plug and cable jack. Not sure where you expect them to put them if not behind the tv.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I unhooked the component cables and I took off the regular cable from the box to the TV. I took off one of the splitters and had the cable from the wall go directly (through one splitter that has another cable plugged into the electrical outlet) to the cable box.

I hooked up my DVI and it works perfectly. I don't know why he had such a problem.

The only problem I have is channels 32 through 45 won't come in very well. They are really, really snowy. All the other hundred some odd channels come in great. HDTV works great.

It's only those channels (History, Discovery, Life, Animal Planet, etc.)

Any suggestions on that? If it was the "old wires" why would just those channels not come in?

DEb

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The snowy channels is where the amp usually helps. Sometimes it's the lower channels, sometimes it's the higher channels.

Also, HD channels (not HBO) will always flake out, at least here BrightHouse does. The BoSox game last night froze during the 7th inning. TNT will also freeze. We had a storm come thru and audio went un-synced and the picture would go crappy every 5 minutes. A flaw with HD feeds some how.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Red
The snowy channels is where the amp usually helps. Sometimes it's the lower channels, sometimes it's the higher channels.

Also, HD channels (not HBO) will always flake out, at least here BrightHouse does. The BoSox game last night froze during the 7th inning. TNT will also freeze. We had a storm come thru and audio went un-synced and the picture would go crappy every 5 minutes. A flaw with HD feeds some how.
Yeah, I'm thinking that maybe the upgraded cables will help. I took the amp off just to see and all the channels were awful, plus the HDTV channels wouldn't even come in so I put it back on.

We have the same Bright House so it's good to know it's not just me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
For cables- I had purchased some sweet monster RF cable with gold-plated ends and the cable guy told me the cables sucked. He went on to say they prefer the regular stock black cable. I don't see how that's a scam or wrong info using regular cable instead of my brand new cable, so i returned them and got my cash back. So unless a cable expert has a legit reason for why my situation is flaky, be weary up 'upgrading' your cables. If it's brighthouse, they should use the typical black cable (course it was still TimeWarner when I had mine done. Unless of your you aren't talking about cable cable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.