AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My tv has no digital audio output but is a digital tv wierd. It has 3 hdmi inputs but can I connect a soundbar to it through these? I thought it would be ouputs that are needed. There is a 3.5mm output socket but will the quality be poor with this?

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmccuk /forum/post/21408893

Hi,

My tv has no digital audio output but is a digital tv wierd. It has 3 hdmi inputs but can I connect a soundbar to it through these? I thought it would be ouputs that are needed. There is a 3.5mm output socket but will the quality be poor with this?

Thanks,

B

If you get a soundbar that has enough HDMI inputs for the things you need to connect, then you'd just run one HDMI from the soundbar to the TV to pass the video to the TV. That's pretty much your only option if the TV doesn't have any audio out except a mini-jack.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
What is the make and model of the tv? Not all sets have an optical digital out, those that don't have a coax digital audio out--RCA pin jack color coded orange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a Sony kdl 32s3000.it has the old standard red and white connection.if I connect this to the 3.5 aux port on the soundbar will the quality still be good?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Depends on the soundbar. If its just a 2 channel bar like the Vizio VSB200 it will sound fine. Some people can tell the difference between the optical and RCA connections but I couldn't when I had this bar. For a 5.1 surround bar there will be a difference as you'll only be getting 2 channel audio over the RCA connection. List your equipment and you'll get better advice.

I think your TV does have an optical out. Some TVs can pass 5.1 channel audio through to the soundbar but not all...

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If this were a US spec model the digital optical output would be on the right side of the rear jack panel, just above the analog audio output jacks. I suspect from the OP's username that he may have a UK spec model, which may not have optical out.

Some kind of digital audio output, either RCA or optical, is required on US sets with built in digital tuners, this may not be the case in other markets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts