AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get female S-video that would fit in a wall plate? Leviton sells one that has the 110 connectors on the back for cat-5 but I want one that has pins for soldering or preferably has breakout connectors to connect coax cables to. A S-Video feed-through that allows standard S-video cables on both sides would be good also. I want to send S-video from my receiver to three different televisions around my house so I can send ReplayTV video to all and would like to be able to plug in to the wall for it.

I'm also wondering about a source for true 75 ohm RCA and F-connector feed-throughs. I'm beginning to think the best solution for my A/V closet is to have a thin plywood sheet set in the wall with all the in wall cables on one side (phone, home network. RG-6) with feed-throughs to any necessary A/V connectors.

TIA,

Steve

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
PartsExpress has an s-video feed-through wall plate inserts. They have F-connector feed-throughs, too. No one has true 75 ohm RCA feed-throughs because there is no such thing as a 75 ohm RCA connector. The geometry just doesn't permit it with the dielectrics in use. But you can find 75 ohm BNC feed-through connectors. Just put a 75 ohm BNC on the end of the cable that plugs into the wall, and your favorite RCA on the other end. IMHO the Canare "75 ohm type" connector will probably get you the closest to what you want.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The breakout bulkhead connectors exist, but I can't seem to remember who sells them. I've seen them with a 4-pin S-video jack on the room side and 2x BNC or RCA on the other side. I found them too late for my installation. I wanted to run S-video and RGBHV to a projector. In the end I used 7 Canare bulkhead BNC connectors (5 for RGBHV and 2 for S-video) at each end with 7 runs of coax connecting them. Then I just built two short S-video breakout cables.

Partsexpress sells a wall plate with S-video jacks on both sides.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=5916&DID=7

Canare makes very good quality RCA bulkhead connectors. I have a few that I've admired but never used (I decided to do all video with BNC). Their RCAs may be closer to 75 ohms than many others but none are 75 ohm.

Rather that plywood, buy a sheet of 1/4" white acrylic. It can look pretty good. If you're interested, I can show you a few photos of my connector panels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.