AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
I did my ht room in flat mouse ears black. It looks great but was very hard to get it right had to roll it 3 times to get the roller marks not show except for a few. If I would do it over again I think I would of paid a painter just to do the ceiling In there because it took sooooo much time. Another thing to if you plan on having rgb led lights up there in a sofit the roller marks show up with the lines left from the roller if it's not perfect. Hope this helps and a star ceiling go with a dark blue for paint or a lighter color. See the night sky mural thread for more information on this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great post as I am also looking for the best black to use.

I found another thread where the builder used Behr Premium Plus Pastel Base "Black Suede" from Home Depot. I liked it but wonder how dark it is in person.

Where can you buy the Mouse Ears Black?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I'm not a fan of total black.............but used black accents.

I used Ralph Lauren Suede paint in color Diego which is a shade of gray. Texture of paint helps with light reflections and gives ceiling depth. My room is a black hole with no real light reflects..........and that's with quite a bit of stained wood.

If you plan to use room for other purposes............it's ok to use something else other than black...........but choose wisely! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
Great post as I am also looking for the best black to use.

I found another thread where the builder used Behr Premium Plus Pastel Base "Black Suede" from Home Depot. I liked it but wonder how dark it is in person.

Where can you buy the Mouse Ears Black?

Home Depot just say ask and it should be pulled up in their database. When I get home I'll take a picture of the paint formula on the can so if you need to you could have Home Depot match the paint

·
Registered
536 Posts
Eng-399
Thanks for the picture.
I noticed the can says primer and paint in one. Does that mean I don't need to prime drywall first?
The paint/primer supposedly does a better job of covering than their paint only product, although this is debatable. If your ceiling isn't currently painted with flat latex, I'd recommend using real primer first, tinted to black. It will do a better job of sealing the drywall and will be cheaper.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the tips...!!!!

The paint/primer supposedly does a better job of covering than their paint only product, although this is debatable. If your ceiling isn't currently painted with flat latex, I'd recommend using real primer first, tinted to black. It will do a better job of sealing the drywall and will be cheaper.

My ceiling is new drywall and has just been sealed so that idea of the primer and paint in one is probably good for me.

I used Ralph Lauren Suede paint in color Diego which is a shade of gray. Texture of paint helps with light reflections and gives ceiling depth. My room is a black hole with no real light reflects..........and that's with quite a bit of stained wood.

If you plan to use room for other purposes............it's ok to use something else other than black...........but choose wisely! ;)

Doublewing - I will look at your build pics and see if I can get a sense of what it looks like. My gut says I am not a huge fan of a all black ceiling as well, but I do worry about reflections and light control.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Mouse ears black? Any confirmation or other ideas are encouraged. Please give paint name and manufacturer if you don't mind :)
I don't think you will get better answers or a consensus answer that what will be found in this thread (updated last year with additional posts):

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de.../1218000-blackest-most-flat-paint-period.html

Paint technology hasn't changed much in the last year (that I am aware of) and as you'll see in this thread, there isn't a consensus due to environment, application, ppl's individual painting techniques and ability...just overall personal preference.

I repainted my ceiling last fall. I went from Rosco to Ben. Moore's black. Rosco may have been less reflective, but I preferred the darker (on the ceiling) "look" of the BM's "black". Doesn't make my decision correct, just comes down to personal preference.

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
Eng-399
Thanks for the picture.
I noticed the can says primer and paint in one. Does that mean I don't need to prime drywall first?

The can does say that but you should prime your walls first. Home Depot and other paint stores will tell you to put 2 coats of gray primer on first. I did and it looks great. With new drywall the paint really sucks back into the drywall.

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts

Thought I would throw this in here this is Ralph Lauren suede paint in beige. This is how the wall would look texture wise of
course you would use a different color in the suede

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Doublewing - I will look at your build pics and see if I can get a sense of what it looks like. My gut says I am not a huge fan of a all black ceiling as well, but I do worry about reflections and light control.
It all comes down to many factors considering reflections from room to screen...........................this is the case when room designer comes in handy.

I experimented with many aspects of build including using lasers to identify possible issues from light reflections. When all was said and done, I wasn't willing to go all black and found color/paint type combinations which would make room inviting and still maintain contrast on screen. If I had to do it all over again..................I'd select the very same color combinations. My projector is a quasi-light cannon...........no issues whatsoever with reflections nor light control! Once again..............be wise selecting color combos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts