AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried wading through the hundreds of posts on both of these receiver/tuners, and I still can't get an overall feel for which one is better/has the least drawbacks. Can anyone give a brief, focused assessment of the pros/cons? or is it that each box has it's own set of benefits and drawbacks and neither one is inherently better or worse?

Also is the HD200 really $150-$200 better than the Zenith SAT520?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Not sure I agree with turls' recommendation to wait. I'm not convinced that either the RCA or Toshiba box will actually be released anytime within the next several months. In fact, I'm not convinced either of them will ever be released. Assuming they will be, history has shown time and again those who wait for the next generation boxes are frequently disappointed. Your mileage may vary, of course.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Why not buy one of the boxes in question and see if it works well on *your* TV? Buy from a dealer that allows returns. If you're satisfied with the box, keep it - if not, return it for a refund and try another brand.

Buy one now and enjoy HDTV now. If something better comes along in the next few months, you can sell your STB, and upgrade. It's amazing what used STBs go for on eBay.... :)

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tyanger
Can anyone give a brief, focused assessment of the pros/cons? or is it that each box has it's own set of benefits and drawbacks and neither one is inherently better or worse?

Also is the HD200 really $150-$200 better than the Zenith SAT520?
In stores, I have always seen the Sony for $800 and the Zenith for $700. I read that the Sony includes the DVI cable and the remote is different. (If one has a Sony or Zenith TV, it is something to consider.)

One person said there were a few minor differences, but I can't remember what they are; that might not even be correct.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
What makes you think that? Their existing boxes are obsolete because of captioning issues, so they would just exit the market now? Doesn't make much sense.

Actually, I was considering all 4 of these boxes to be the same "generation" but I guess with all the delays they might not be.

Heaven help us if the only DVI choices we get anytime soon are Sony/Zenith or Samsung.

I guess the HDPVRs will be out sometime with their own set of 1st gen glitches too though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Peterson
I'm not convinced that either the RCA or Toshiba box will actually be released anytime within the next several months. In fact, I'm not convinced either of them will ever be released. Assuming they will be, history has shown time and again those who wait for the next generation boxes are frequently disappointed.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
What makes you think that? Their existing boxes are obsolete because of captioning issues, so they would just exit the market now? Doesn't make much sense.
Doesn't it? Toshiba, RCA, and Mitsubishi have all essentially been out of the ATSC receiver market for many months and they sure don't seem terribly anxious to jump back in. Toshiba's box was based on Hughes' design. Why didn't the Hughes box become obsolete? Did they add captioning? If so, would it be that hard for Tosh & Mits to pick up the change so they would have a product to sell during the months or years while their new one is in development?

My guess is the STB market is not a very profitable one and most of the manufacturers are content to let others such as Samsung control it. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
...My guess is the STB market is not a very profitable one and most of the manufacturers are content to let others such as Samsung control it. I hope I'm wrong.
I bet you're right.

STBs probably have a very high return rate, since they're so buggy, and they have too many "gotchas", depending on the TV you're trying to connect it to.

In addition to buggy STBs, retailers in my area probably have an even higher than normal return rate, due to poor OTA reception in hill/valley terrain and LOW POWER stations. Trying to use an OTA STB in markets with low power stations is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I thought it was basically obsolete. I thought it was being sold for the same reason people still seem to be selling the original RCA box. Or for that matter the Motorola HDD-20x. They are a ton of them sitting in warehouses so they are still available.

Of course, don't expect them to do something radical like actually lower the price to a decent level to get rid of them . . .

Quote:
Why didn't the Hughes box become obsolete? Did they add captioning?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RiPeti
Will the Toshiba have the captioning?
That is regulated, so I would think so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.