AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've settled on the Denon AVR 1910 as a receiver, although it's equivalent the AVR 790 is selling for $100 less. Is there any reason to get the 1910 over the 790?

But, my main reason for this thread is a 6th and 7th channel set up. I recently purchased the the Infinity TSS 1200 speakers for a 5.1 setup. However, the local dealer threw something else into the mix. He was clearancing out another set of Infinity speakers, the C255ES, for $100. He suggested I use these speakers as my 6th and 7th channels in the rear. But, I have three questions:

1) Is this more powerful or will it unbalance my speaker set up with the Infinity TSS 1200?

2) Can one of these speakers truly serve as the rear 6th and 7th channels?

3) Based on my room set up, can I mount these speaker on the ceiling, pointed diagonally down toward the couch to catch the 6th and 7th channels? Will the receiver recognize that?

Here's the speaker:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...USA&Country=US

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the C255ES is a selectable speaker - monopole, dipole, bipole. In the rear position, it probably should be set to monopole, although you can easily experiment with the different settings to see what you like. They could also be used on the L-R side, where a dipole is sometimes used to difuse the sound and blend the effects a little.

The speaker itself is "passive", it does not have any internal power amplification. The power ratings are just the min. and max. power the manufacturer recommends be applied to the speaker. Your receiver setup will control how much power goes to each speaker.

If your seating is up against the rear wall, then trying to create a 7.1 soundfield is pretty useless. The surround speakers in a 5.1 setup are on the sides, just slightly behind the listening position, and the C255ES units may work well for this in dipole mode. The rear speakers need to be several feet or more behind the listener. Mounting any of these speakers on the ceiling will be a serious compromise to the effect Dolby Labs creates in their Dolby Digital mastering of the audio tracks on movies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts