AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having some issues with my epson 5030 and I’m considering an epson 4010 to replace it. Would the 4010 be a noticeable upgrade? I have a 120” screen and the projector lense is currently mounted to the ceiling approximately 13’ from the screen. Top of screen is 16” from ceiling and the lense is approximately 10” from the ceiling. I noticed the 4010 is much larger and heavier than my 5030. Just saying...
Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If your don't care about the limitation of the HDMI port, the 4010 and the 5040 would be fine. If you need the 4k/60 12 4:4:4 your will need to upgrade to the 5050 or if budget is an issue the 3200/3800

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I’m having some issues with my epson 5030 and I’m considering an epson 4010 to replace it. Would the 4010 be a noticeable upgrade? I have a 120” screen and the projector lense is currently mounted to the ceiling approximately 13’ from the screen. Top of screen is 16” from ceiling and the lense is approximately 10” from the ceiling. I noticed the 4010 is much larger and heavier than my 5030. Just saying...
Any help is much appreciated.
The 4010 is a downgrade in terms of contrast/black level. It does have more color gamut coverage, as well being able to do 4K. However it's got a 10GB HDMI limitation:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3152120-building-home-theater-benq-ht3550-projector-something-else.html#post59777804

I would get a 5040UB refurb rather than a HC4010:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3059050-refurbished-epson-5040ub-1-151-00-a.html

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
You need to describe your room. The 5030 has the UB panels and the 4010 does not. If in an untreated/poor ambient light controlled room it may not make much difference. Your main viewing content also makes a difference where Sports or gaming might need a different kind of projector over mostly movie watching. If 4K streaming is a priority the 10Gb HDMI is a big drawback and 18Gb is a lot more compatible.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You need to describe your room. The 5030 has the UB panels and the 4010 does not. If in an untreated/poor ambient light controlled room it may not make much difference. Your main viewing content also makes a difference where Sports or gaming might need a different kind of projector over mostly movie watching. If 4K streaming is a priority the 10Gb HDMI is a big drawback and 18Gb is a lot more compatible.
Don't high contrast projectors work in an untreated room if the scene is low ADL?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ambient light is pretty controlled, maybe 10 percent light, it’s pretty dark, especially at night😀. We us this like a regular television, 0% gaming, 50% regular programming, 25% sports, 25% movies.
I would consider a refurbished 5040 if I could find one. I hate to bite the bullet for $3k for a 5050.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The ambient light is pretty controlled, maybe 10 percent light, it’s pretty dark, especially at night😀. We us this like a regular television, 0% gaming, 50% regular programming, 25% sports, 25% movies.
I would consider a refurbished 5040 if I could find one. I hate to bite the bullet for $3k for a 5050.
I am also struggling with my decision on a projector, but I do actually want the 5050ub, but that price point is hard to get around. That being said, the main reason I stopped in to say that I saw one on NewEgg yesterday refurbished.

**It's now sold out**

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also struggling with my decision on a projector, but I do actually want the 5050ub, but that price point is hard to get around. That being said, the main reason I stopped in to say that I saw one on NewEgg yesterday refurbished.

**It's now sold out**
Damn it😡

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The refurbs come back in stock from time to time, but they sell out very quickly, they're a hot item. I'm referring to the one in the previous link, from Epson's website.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I would seriously consider the Epson 3800. It may not have the contrast of your old Epson but will be a lot brighter, has 18Gb HDMI and cheap replacement lamps. 75% of your content doesn't have low APL as it really comes into play for movies. The 10Gb limit on the 5040 is more of a hassle then you may think especially if your streaming. If you had a dedicated room and movies were a priority the 5040 would be better.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I would seriously consider the Epson 3800. It may not have the contrast of your old Epson but will be a lot brighter, has 18Gb HDMI and cheap replacement lamps. 75% of your content doesn't have low APL as it really comes into play for movies. The 10Gb limit on the 5040 is more of a hassle then you may think especially if your streaming. If you had a dedicated room and movies were a priority the 5040 would be better.
That's not necessarily the case. A lot of TV has good production quality and a lot of low APL scenes. It really depends what OP is watching on TV.

Personally I would prefer a 5040UB with the hassles, or even in 1080p over a HC3800.

@Jeff Jubie what's the seating distance?

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
This seems to be the case every week or so. They disappear for a week, maybe two. Then the 5040UB or UBe (still a great deal) come back into stock.

I can't imagine being in such an emergency that I wouldn't wait for it to get back into stock.

The 5040 refurbs are just the best deal out there IMO. Not the best projector... that would go to the 5050, and into the JVC/Sony territories, but as far as a deal goes? Impossible to beat.

I just don't live in a world where the 4010 is a projector I would buy. I would get the 5040 over the 4010 in a second, then I would get the 3800 or the 5050 (or more likely a JVC).

·
Registered
51 Posts
This seems to be the case every week or so. They disappear for a week, maybe two. Then the 5040UB or UBe (still a great deal) come back into stock.

I can't imagine being in such an emergency that I wouldn't wait for it to get back into stock.

The 5040 refurbs are just the best deal out there IMO. Not the best projector... that would go to the 5050, and into the JVC/Sony territories, but as far as a deal goes? Impossible to beat.

I just don't live in a world where the 4010 is a projector I would buy. I would get the 5040 over the 4010 in a second, then I would get the 3800 or the 5050 (or more likely a JVC).
I have been jumping back and forth between the 5040UB and trying to make the numbers work for the 5050UB... I was told by @m0j0 that these were great for the money and he had sent me a link the other day and after I sat on it a couple of hours it was gone and I kicked myself ever since.

I just got mine ordered from Epson and this will be my first projector. I just knew the OP was wanting one and wanted to help out and hopefully they can get one too and I'm sure they will if the trend is that reliable haha. :)

Reactions: m0j0

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have been jumping back and forth between the 5040UB and trying to make the numbers work for the 5050UB... I was told by @m0j0 that these were great for the money and he had sent me a link the other day and after I sat on it a couple of hours it was gone and I kicked myself ever since.

I just got mine ordered from Epson and this will be my first projector. I just knew the OP was wanting one and wanted to help out and hopefully they can get one too and I'm sure they will if the trend is that reliable haha. :)
Ya Hoooooo. I canceled my refurbished 4010 I ordered yesterday and replaced the order with a refurbished 5040 for $1,150... What a deal. One happy camper, thanks for all the support guys. You guys are the best

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ya Hoooooo. I canceled my refurbished 4010 I ordered yesterday and replaced the order with a refurbished 5040 for $1,150... What a deal. One happy camper, thanks for all the support guys. You guys are the best
Sweet! Happy you got one and glad I could help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts