AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Any reccomendations? I have all Klipsch equipment for speakers (minus the sub)

Fronts are floorstanding KG 5.5

Center is a KV3

Rears are RS 35 (dipole surrounds on stands in the rear corners)

All driven by a Denon AVR 2808CI

I am looking to add the 7.1 channel by using some speakers that would be placed in the ceiling (or in the rear wall if that ends up being the better placement)

Since my rear speakers are currently against the back wall (even with the rear row of seating) what would be the best way to add the 7.1's? (in wall or in ceiling possibly?)

Also, I have heard that I may not want to use the multidirectional type of speakers for my main surrounds if going to 7.1. Is that true?

Thanks for any help.

Fezick

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It's recommended to use monopole speakers for surround back speakers. The ones you currently have aren't rears, they're surrounds. They're meant to go beside the listener, and maybe slightly toward the back. See the recommended speaker position setups at Dolby and THX.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/index.html

It's also recommended to have your surround backs a minimum of 3 feet behind you, with 6 feet being more preferable. If your seating position is up against the back wall, you may be better off sticking with 5.1.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezick /forum/post/15434813

Since my rear speakers are currently against the back wall (even with the rear row of seating) what would be the best way to add the 7.1's? (in wall or in ceiling possibly?)

The best way would be to not add anything and stick with 5.1. Sorry, but you answered your own question.

Ahhh, speakers not seating against the back wall... Misread, my apologies.

·
Registered
31,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezick /forum/post/15434813

From your gallery pics, it looks like your main seating row is 5-7 feet from the back wall. In order to do an effective 7.1 layout, you'd need to move your side speakers more in-line with the first row and spread your rear speakers on the back wall. This will give you good rear vs side separation in the surround field. What you were originally proposing, with all four surrounds behind the listeners, would never give you that effect.
Quote:
Also, I have heard that I may not want to use the multidirectional type of speakers for my main surrounds if going to 7.1. Is that true?

Depends on how close you'll be to the surround speakers. If any of the listeners (especially ones at the either end of the front row) are going to be near the surround speakers, then direct firing models could be distracting and you may be better off with diffuse/multidirectional models.

Sanjay

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Keep in mind that my current surrounds are placed for the back row listeners to the side and behind the front row. (If I placed them next to/or a little behind the front row, the sound would be in front of the rear row listeners and sound a bit funny) but if I am understanding correctly...one option would be to take my current surrounds and move them up to the side of the front row (using the multidirectional that I have) and then setting up the surround backs where I currently have the surrounds.

If I have that right, then another question will be if the surround backs have to be at the same height as the other or can an in-wall/in-ceiling speaker be used effectively?

Thanks again for all the opinions.

Fezick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.