AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a used Sim2 Domino 20 with about 2800 hours. Will I be happy with my purchase at less than $800 or should I look at a newer PJ? The Pj will be used for DVD's and HD sports(Dish Network VP211) mostly. Any thoughts or suggestions. I am trying to get my Theatre going on a shoestring budget. I have a very well controlled lighting(no windows) in the HT. This will be my first projector...I am currently use a Mitsu 65" HD1080 for regular TV viewing.

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts......

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Sim2 Domino 20 was a fine machine when it came out 4 years ago.

However, for approx. the same money, there are several projectors that will throw a better picture, simply due to recent better technology.

Things to consider -

Sim2 is only 1024x576 resolution - not true HD, though not shabby.

"only" 2000-1 contrast. Again, not shabby but there is better out there.

Inflated brightness claims - that era of PJ marketting tended to really inflate brightness measures, but since then there has been a bit of consumer backlash which seems to have resulted in more realistic numbers. So, a projector of 1000 lumens in 2003 will in likelihood be less bright than a PJ of the same spec today.

My guess is that the HD70, Mits 1000HD, and other recent 720p projectors will throw a mUCh better picture (relative, of course. They ALL are very good).

The Mits can be had for $860, and will come with a new bulb and warranty rather than the 2800(!) hours on the Sim2.

Easy decision, in my book. It sounds like someone is trying to ease the sting of that $5000 purchase in 2003, and overpricing their projector in resale. They probably hope to buy a new Mits

IMHO, purchasing a brand new "premium" projector from Sim2, Runnco, Marantz is about elitism more than performance. If you've got money to burn and are made happy by elite namebrands, then purchase away and be happy. If you don't have money to throw away and take pride in performance/dollar ratios, there are always better options. Professional reviews and honest specifications hold this to be true.

I had a friend when I lived outside of new york who helped me get into the Home theater hobby back in the mid/late 90's. We used to go to his house to watch films (from his VCR or laserdisc). It was GREAT! He owned a Runco PJ (Can't remember the model), which was SVGA resolution, had about 500 lumens and about 250-1 contrast ratio. He paid about $15,000 for it
It was shown on a beautifully crafted Stewart 1.0 gain screen.

After watching his for a year, I HAD to get my own, but no way could I afford the Runco. So, I ended up buying a demo Philips Proscreen 4600 Impact - 650 lumens, 300-1 contrast ratio, SVGA Res for about $2000. I picked up a Dalite model B with the 1,5 gain Video Spectra surface. It was great! However, it sort of damaged a good relationship.

I told my friend about my purchase, and he suggested we go to MY house for movie night. He graciously brought over his laserdisk, and we watched "Aliens", which he had just bought. It looked great!

Too, great, apparently. My friend was pretty quiet all night. Seems while I was out of the room getting popcorn, his wife had commented on how great the image looked, "even better than ours!". She was excited for us and wanted to graciously compliment our entry into home theater - what she wasn't tuned into was the mystery of the male competitive psyche.

We were never invited over again for "movie night", and freindship continued with no mention of "home theater" subjects again.

Two great lessons learned -

1. Don't pay top dollar for the latest luxury equipment - do your research.

2. Be careful when showing off your new theater

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TSO,

Thanks for the insight......I am new to projectors and was probably "name"struck by the Sim2. I have been researching for about a month and I seem to find another option every few days. So far, I have found the best info on this forum...

Thanks again for the advice and I will definitely look into the Mits.

Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chris,

You will be much happier with either an HD70 or HD1000U. You will get a HD picture for all your HD content. Nothing touches well produced HD sports broadcasts. Plus, you get a new projector with a warranty for about the same price.

Both of those projectors will also be brighter than the 4 year old Sim2 and provide a much sharper picture because of the 1280x720 resolution. The Sim2 was a great projector 4 years ago, but the sub $1,000 mentioned above are better performers than the Sim2 that you are looking at. Isn't technology wonderful???

You can get an HD Sim2 and they are top notch, but they will cost you a minimum of $3,000 if you get a deal. One of my friends is a Sim2 dealer so I have experience with them and as I mentioned above, they are excellent performers.

I have an Optoma HD70 and my friends who build HT systems as their full-time business don't complain about my crappy projector in comparison to their $10,000 Sim2 projectors that they have at their homes. To me it is just not a $9,000 better picture.

BK

·
Registered
917 Posts
I definetly would not buy a 4 yearr old projector. I bought a sim2 Ht300e 2 years ago and you can now buy projectors for less than a fifth the price of the sim2 that perform better. Also I have had to send my sim back 3 times for repair. You pay a Lexus price but you get a fiat reliability the technology is the same in both the expensive and the cheap projectors and the technolgy is moving fast.

I agree remoresfully with AudioBOB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.