AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably will definitely buy an Xbox 360. I might buy a HDTV, but I don't see how they are ever going to catch on. Their too expensive for most people. I guess the main reason I would want one is to maximize my graphics with my Xbox 360. Do they make 17 inch CRT's? I'm not into big screens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know there's some 14" CRT's, but I'm not sure if any are HD. The smallest HD CRT I know of is 27" that I've been seeing.

Wal-Mart here was selling an RCA HD 27" for a really nice price, less than any LCD. I know it's Wal-Mart, and the TV's aren't great quality, but it has a DVI input which in its price range is unheard of.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
yeah they are PC monitors

and the xbox 360 will be able to output VGA with an optional adapter cable

a 20" or 21" CRT PC monitor can easily display 720p(1280x720) and will cost about 300 dollars as I remember

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay if I bought a HDTV-Ready monitor, I would be able to hook up my Xbox 360 to it? But what about watching TV? Would I have to buy a separate tuner then?

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag
Okay if I bought a HDTV-Ready monitor, I would be able to hook up my Xbox 360 to it? But what about watching TV? Would I have to buy a separate tuner then?
Yes.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Don't forget that the games that are made for the Xbox360 and PS3 will come in 16/9 format. You better consider a widescreen HD instead!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
16:9 format? So if I hook up the Xbox 360 to my regular 17 in. TV what will the game look like? Is it going to be out of proportion or something? I hope not, cuz this idea of buying a HDTV is only a mere possiblity. I'm quite happy with my 17 in. Sony.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
it will not be out of proportion. it will be letterboxed

meaning you will have black bars

like when watching non "Fullscreen" DVD (16:9 anamorphic DVDs)

I would still recommend a PC monitor

there are even 16:10 CRTs (so you would have little black bars for 16:9 content)

Sony made some 24" 16:10 CRT PC monitors

worthwise even a 19" CRT PC monitor, you can buy for under 100 dollars would be better than using your 17" Sony TV with the xbox 360

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That stinks. Why did Microsoft decide to do this 16:9 business? I really like my Sony 17 in. TV, and it's not that old.

If I did buy a PC monitor that had 16:9 format, I would still need to buy a tuner so I could watch TV right? And what do those cost?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag
That stinks. Why did Microsoft decide to do this 16:9 business? I really like my Sony 17 in. TV, and it's not that old.

If I did buy a PC monitor that had 16:9 format, I would still need to buy a tuner so I could watch TV right? And what do those cost?
Cause 16:9 is better..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.